SubscribeBite mark or something else?
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
Hi all!

Several weeks ago, I noticed a very tiny white spot on the side of the mouth of one of my Redeyed tetras. It looked like some his scales where gone. I didn't think much about it until a few weeks ago when I noticed that the white spot had progressed to the entire front of his mouth and there were very tiny red lesions on his mouth. It also looked like he had suffered a bite from another fish as there was some missing flesh from the front of his mouth and it looked very raw. I immediately transferred him to my hospital tank and treated him with Melafix. I kept him in there for 2.5 weeks and I thought things had progressed to the point where I could transfer him back to my main tank. The red lesions had disappeared and it looked like the chunk of flesh that was missing was healing itself.

The transfer back to the main tank was about 4 days ago. I checked on him every day and everything looked fine. Today, he had what looked like some kind of white, raised, encrusted "scab", for lack of a better description, that had formed above his right eye, beginning where that first white spot had appeared. I got my hospital tank ready for him again, but during his transfer, the white "scab" was disloged. I also noticed that the front of his mouth, mostly his snout, looks worse than ever as it appears to have been eaten away! It's actually gone! I'm treating him again with Melafix along with the addition of Pimafix, hoping that this will help as it did initially.

He has no difficulty in eating and swims around as if there's nothing wrong.

Would any of you have any suggestions on this please?

Thanks much!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2008 01:16Profile PM Edit Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
Further to my earlier post, it looks like I have I might have an overly aggressive fish in my tank that's doing the attacking. I just noticed my cherry barb with a pretty big chunk taken out of his side. He's in the hospital tank now with the redeye. My current stock in my 42G tall main tank is:

1 zebra danio
5 redeye tetras
2 tiger barbs
1 serpae

I realize that I should have more danios, barbs and serpaes, but these fish have all been together now for almost 2 years! Don't understand why one or more would be acting up now! If I can just catch the culprit or culprits in action, I could remove them to another tank. Until then, I sure hope nothing else happens!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2008 20:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies