Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBreeding Colombian Tetra!
MaximilianDub
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
male usa us-florida

I have 3 Colombian tetras, 2 Of which are bigger and more
plump then the other one. All clues point to them being females. They belong to a 20 gallon community tank that is also home to one Platy and one gold Guarami. I also have a 15 gallon tank that I don't use. My question is could my tetras spawn in a community tank? I made a spawning mop to hang down inside my tank. My other question is if she does lay some eggs into the spawning mop, can I take the mop out of the water and place it into another tank or maybe a breeding trap or will the eggs fall out and or die if I take the mop out of the water for a few seconds?

I know I know, I need more platys...
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2011 23:55Profile PM Edit Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
My Columbians bred in my community tank all the time. I had some java moss in there in which I suspect the eggs were laid.
I would move the tetras to the spare tank to breed and then move them back once they have laid their eggs.
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2011 06:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MaximilianDub
Small Fry
male usa us-florida
I don't want to use my 15 gallon tank because I dont like the fitration system I have for it and simply because its a plastic peice of junk.

Do you think Ill harm the eggs if I take the mop out of the water real quick to put it into the other tank or fry trap?

Thanks though for the positive response!!!
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2011 06:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
I would use a bag or a bucket so that the eggs arent out of the water.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2011 12:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MaximilianDub
Small Fry
male usa us-florida
Thats what I was thinking. I was thinking about turning a 2 liter soda bottle into a fry trap that way once theres eggs in the mop, Ill just slide the bottle inderneath the net without touching or moving the eggs, then ill just attach the bottle to the side of the tank.

Thanks a bunch man!

Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2011 19:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies