SubscribeDead Glowlights
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
Votes: 1
male uk
hi yesterday i brought 6 glowlight in 1 day they all died
i had molly in the tank before bt got rid of them but kept one which is still alive
the temp is at 26
i tested the water ph hardness etc... and they came up how they should be, so why have they died.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 13:01Profile PM Edit Report 
MrKipper
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 17
Votes: 0
What size tank + filter you got?
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 14:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
male uk
it about 10 or 12 gallon tank with a trio 2000 filter
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 14:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
What steps did you take to acclimate the new fish? Also, It's usually suggested to add fish only a couple at a time to give the filter time to grow into the new bio load but tetras aren't very ;arge and it was a quick loss of fish, being in one day...

maybe the parameters of your tank were so far from those of the tank they came from, they were way over stressed?? I hope you can at least take them back to the LFS and get a refund/credit.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 15:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
um temp wise it is fine as they range from 22C-28C the higher being for breeding. They can be a little sensative to a change in water chemistry. I take it you do the proper introduction method i.e. float bag fro 10 mins the add a little of tank water float of another 10 mins then repeat 2-3 times. Might have been to much of a change in water chemistry maby taken longer in the floating bag method. This might be nothing to do with the problem of there death but they do like tannin water from bog wood but i dont think lack of that would kill them. It does like soft/acid water from my experiance but again they are quite hardy.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 15:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
male uk
well just got back from the shop they reckon it was ammonia so went all the backk home got sample of water and went back it was fine. they just think it was stress of the drive n gave me sum more free, n extra 1 cus they culdnt be bother 2 get him out.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 16:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
male uk
ok i let them out and these one semm alot better there swim round more n 2gether the other just stay near bottom of the tank on there own like
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 16:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
As Scott said, it was probably how you acclimated them. I've found they can be a bit touchy at the beginning, but once they're established in a tank, they're pretty hardy.

I'd personally suggest the drip method to acclimate them. Take a clean bucket (NO CLEANERS OR ANYTHING IN IT!), empty the fish and water from the LFS into it, take some airline tubing and start a siphon from the tank into the bucket. Clamp the tubing so that it drips about once every second or two. Leave it until the water volume at least doubles in the bucket (2 1/2 is even better). Net the fish into your tank so that the LFS water doesn't mix with your main tank water.

Joe Potato

Edit: Ah, I didn't see you had already posted. Good luck with this batch. Hope it works out for you.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 16:27Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
male uk
the problem still happening 1 died already i taken all the fish out of the tank
i don't knw wat else 2 do.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 19:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zookeper
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 62
Votes: 6
male usa
When I got my glolites I had bought 6 and 2 died within a day. I went back and got replacements and had my water tested at the store which is mandatory to get replacment fish and it was fine.
I brought the 2 home and one of those died that night as well. I now have 5 and they are all doiong great and its been about a month.
I floated the bag for an hour open and every 10 minutes I added an ounce or so of the tanks water to the bag. I have a turkey baster that I use for this purpose.
I also turn off the lights and make the tank as dark as possible and leave it that way even once the fish are let out of the bag. Oh, I also put a little stress coat in the bag of fish once I get home and start the float.
I hope they do well for you. I love the glolites. They are very animated and fun to watch.
Should you lose these then maybe you should try another store. Maybe its your store that is the problem?
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 19:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
male uk
i think found the problem my heater broke it spose 2 be 24 n i found out it's in the 30's
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 19:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
pete-

typing in complete sentences and entire words might help as well, my friend!

sorry to hear about your losses and your heater, but now you know what the deal is!
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 20:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
male uk
EditedEdited by cool_pete
just to let you know the heater is out, and the fish are fine, the bit above there eye are alot oranger now.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2007 22:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Hope the fish are fine............. The heater wouldn't lower the temperature, so i wouldn't blame the heater. If the out side temperature is 30, that the tank cannot be 24, if you don't have something to cool the tank water.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 00:30Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
male uk
well the new heater in and there still alive so there all settled in, i thinking of adding another 6 tetra in week or so but i not sure which would go best with glowlight ,neons... any other ideas
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 20:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I would wait a few more days before adding more fish.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2007 23:45Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
male usa
It sounds like you did a great job of acclimating them... wierd... I am thinking the same thing on the heater, if it's broken, it own't heat and unless you're in a really cold environment you'd be fine...

It must be a chemistry deal. I would recommend getting your own liquid test kit so you can check parameters yourself, rather than the LFS just saying your water is fine. I found the my LFS was using test strips, and when I changed from strips to the more accurate liquids, the strips were way off on some of the readings... Just a suggestion!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 00:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
male uk
well it wasnt the water was to cold, the water was to hot the heater was set to 24 but was heating the water well into the 30's
and i do plan on waiting, before adding any more i just look for idea of wat of tetra i could put with them
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 18:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
male usa
EditedEdited by BruceMoomaw
There are only a few types of tetra too aggressive to be safely trusted with them. (Serpaes in particular, and -- from what I hear -- maybe Penguins and Buenos Aires Tetras.)

In my experience, store-bought Glowlights are annoyingly delicate -- maybe because they've been too inbred by the fish farms. (The same thing is true of store-bought Neons.) At any rate, don't panic just because you initially lose a lot of 'em -- some of the tetras described by the books as "delicate" actually seem to survive a lot better than Glowlights and Neons in my tank (and I've got two decades' experience with tetras).

Also, Glowlights absolutely love algae wafers (although I've never seen this fact mentioned in a book). And they're among the timidest of the tetras unless you have at least 5 or 6 of them.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2007 23:55Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
male usa
If your heater was heating the water THAT high, though, that's probably all the explanation you need right there -- there aren't many freshwater tropicals of any sort that can tolerate temperatures that high.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2007 23:57Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies