SubscribeHyphessobrycon tetra swimming vertically
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
I got a school of some kind of unidentified Hyphessobrycon a few weeks back (possibly H. bentosi, or something closely related).

Anyway, just before I turn the lights on in the morning, there's always this one (and only one) tetra that is perfectly vertical in the front right corner of the tank. After the light turns on, he starts swimming normally.

Is this a normal resting position?
Post InfoPosted 06-Sep-2007 22:03Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
EditedEdited by REDPHANTOM
Hey Sneaky,

Is the vertical tetra's head pointed up or pointed down?

With my Red Phantoms, Ive seen them court while swimming vertically with their head pointed towards the gravel and so it would seem perfectly normal.

They will tilt their body back and have the head pointed upwards but only slightly.

Not as vertical as they would do so while looking down. But I have never seen them sleeping or resting in this position, only as courting behaviour.

Hope it helps to nail the mystery down

James
Post InfoPosted 07-Sep-2007 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Head up.

I don't think it's courting behavior. I mean, he's the only one that does it. None of the other fish seem to pay him any mind. It's just weird.
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2007 04:01Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
Some fish have bizzard behaviour when there is a sudden change of light. Once I was off for vacation and got up at 5am. When I switched on the light, I almost thought that 3 of my congo tetras were dying. They were drifting on their side at the bottom of the tank, while the others were staying up right like normal fish. But after a while, these congos woke up and swam normally.

I also have an angelfish, which is perfectly healthy & normal when the light is on. But when the light is off for a while and turn on again, he would spin quickly on his side at the bottom of the tank. Even the other fish are frightened by him.
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2007 06:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Wow ricky, that sounds like borderline photoshock, id probably be looking for a way to graduate the lights coming on a little.

As for the tetra, nose up isnt the greatest sign, he may have a slightly deformed swim bladder, and when he relaxes by sleeping, it gives him a bit of a tilt, when he wakes up he probably compensates for it. Doesnt necessarily mean his life is in any immediate danger though. Might just not live quite as long as the others due to exhaustion when he gets a fair bit older.
Post InfoPosted 08-Sep-2007 22:41Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Unfortunately, I think you're right (as usual) LHG. He's taken to swimming vertically all the time now. He can't even right himself.

Anything I can do?
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2007 01:18Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies