SubscribeKerri tetra
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
Anyone have any experience with Kerri tetra.

Djrichie
"Don't Panic"

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2007 06:32Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Emperor tetras? Sure, what kind of information are you looking for?

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2007 15:17Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
male usa
specifications of fish, requirements, general activity of fish

Emperor and Kerri tetra are the same then?

Thank You
DjRichie
"Don't Panic"

Djrichie
Post InfoPosted 31-Mar-2007 16:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by BruceMoomaw
No, they're not -- the regular Emperor Tetra is Nematobrycon palmeri and comes from Colombia, while the Blue Emperor (discovered only in 1977), alias the "Kerri tetra", is Inpaichthys kerri and comes from southern Brazil. They aren't even in the same genus, and their physical resemblance isn't that close either.

Regular Emperors are considerably bigger when full-grown; the purple sheen of the bodies of their adult males, while intense, isn't nearly as bright as the brilliant lavender-and-sky-blue glow of adult male Kerris. The male Emperors, on the other hand, have bright sky-blue eyes, which the Kerris lack. Juveniles and adult females of both species are relatively dingy-looking; but female regular Emperors have green eyes. The adult males of both species are extremely attractive -- it's kind of a judgment call which is more so, although I go with the Kerris myself.

Both require pretty clean, slightly acid water -- with the Kerris apparently being more delicate in that regard; and the Kerris also seem to require regular doses of Blackwater Tonic or they lose their resistance to frequent bacterial infections. Neither one, however, is really all that hard to keep alive -- they're considerably less delicate than Rams, for instance. Neither one seems to school, but they are totally nonhostile to other fish (unlike Cochu's Blue Tetras). I would enthusiastically recommend either one to anyone who's willing to devote even a modest amount of work to keeping his fish alive; they're gorgeous.
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 02:05Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
"No, they're not"

Yeah, he caught me there. Definitely distinct from each other. The blue emperors are not as hardy as many of the common Hyphessobrycon or Hemigrammus tetras, but aren't too tough to take care of as Bruce said. The ones I've seen have never been too active, preferring to space apart and hang around in the water column. They're nice fish to have though, quite good-looking.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 02:38Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
EditedEdited by Calilasseia
Photo of Inpaichthys kerri for reference

Comparison photo of Nematobrycon palmeri

As Bruce said above, the Inpaichthys kerri should be considered "Interesting, beautiful but challenging". For success, pay particular attention to water quality, consider peat filtration as something that may be needed with this fish if you're going to be successful (particularly if you wish to attempt breeding) and it might be a good idea to have a supply of mosquito larvae on tap to feed this species with, as it's probably insectivorous in the wild.

In a community setup, is likely to fare best in an Amazonian community, alongside other peaceful Amazonian Tetras, smaller Apistogramma Dwarf Cichlids, Corydoras Catfishes, and is also reputed to be a suitable fish to keep alongside Discus - whose propensity for soft, acid water is shared by Inpaichthys kerri. Basically, if you keep this species in the same water conditions used for Discus breeding, it's likely to be happy.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 13:53Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Thank You for the info. Thats what i needed to know

Djrichie
"Don't Panic"

Djrichie
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2007 14:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies