Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePreg. Flame Tetra
blazeybird
-----
Banned
Kudos: 24
Votes: 2
male usa
Ok, So I happen to have a preg (or so I belive, she is HUGE like a guppy) Flame tetra and I know NOTHING about breeding tetras, I have been looking all day on the web and cant find crap on it... does any one know if I need to move her to a seperete tank, say my 3-4 gall quarentine tank and have her lay her eggs their (or does the male need to fertalize them??) im just tottaly lost, I have not been able to find ANYTHING so im saying this
HELP

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2006 22:35Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Egg layers do not get pregnant like guppies. They may get slightly fatter when they are conditioned for breeding but usually if it's that noticeable it's actually an illness like bloat. Occasionally some fish get egg bound where they have too many eggs and can't lay them but I've never heard of it happening with tetras. She needs to be quarantined and treated for a bacterial infection or possibly parasites.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2006 23:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
Dropsy Maybe, Does she have raised scales?

Chris
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 01:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
blazeybird
-----
Banned
Kudos: 24
Votes: 2
male usa
no its not dropsy, I know what that is like.. well.. maybe I over exaterated (sp) but she is noticably larger, but I will quarentine her JUST in case

Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 14:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
I think it just might be bloat. Like I said in your other post, a few of my flames get really bloated looking after they eat. It stays that way for a few hours. I freaked out the first time I saw it. They don't seem to swim right and it looks like they are sick (by the way they swim), but they will be ok. If you are really worried, give them some green peas. Pop them in the microwave in some water for a few seconds, then take the outer shell off and feed them to the flame(s).

Here a bad picture of one of mine.

(I think your trial premieship ran out)

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 04:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies