SubscribeTetras
judz
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 160
Votes: 5
male canada
EditedEdited by judz
I have 3 neons and 3 glowlights, they tend to school together all the time. i was going to get a couple more of each to make them more comfortable. however, they seem very happy as is right now. There is no sign of timidness.

So my question is do they tend to mistake eachother for being the same?
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 05:45Profile PM Edit Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
what other fish are in the tank? I've heard that sometimes tetras that are the same size will still school together if there are bigger fish in the tank that they're afraid of. So, even if they realize they aren't the same fish, they still realize that "safety in numbers" still applies when something bigger is around.
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 08:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
judz
-----
Enthusiast
male canada
just 5 rasboras, 4 black neons, upside downcatfish and a 6 inch timid pleco that is more afraid of the tetras then they are of him.
Post InfoPosted 24-Apr-2007 17:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by BruceMoomaw
That sounds to me like a pretty Peaceable Kingdom. I doubt your Neons and Glowlights are suffering from identity confusion -- I've never seen them school together (although Neons and Cardinals will) -- but in any case it certainly isn't anything to worry about. (In my experience, Glowlights are very timid; it may be that, because you have so few Glowlights, they've decided to school with the other small fish in the tank who look the most like them.)
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2007 02:24Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
judz
-----
Enthusiast
male canada
should i worry about getting more neons and glowlights
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2007 04:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
male usa
Not a bit, when it comes to personality -- indeed, the more Glowlights you get, the happier and more self-confident they'll be. But I'm very leery of encouraging anyone to get Neons, for an entirely different reason. That's Neon Tetra Disease (one of the most devilish, hard-to-stop fish diseases I know of), which can be caught by a lot of fish -- not all of them even Tetras, let alone Neons -- and which seems to be spreading epidemically among store-bought Neons (probably because they're bred in collective fish farms where the disease can spread very easily). Glowlights, by the way, seem to catch it very easily.

Personally, instead of Neons I'd buy Cardinals -- they're a bit more expensive, but they are still wild-caught, which means that very few of them carry NTD. (For that matter, they actually seem a bit more resistant to it than some other non-Neon species.) And -- contrary to some books -- they don't seem to me to be particularly delicate (although they do insist on fairly clean water). Indeed, in my experience they're certainly as tough as Neons, even if you ignore the NTD problem with the latter.
Post InfoPosted 25-Apr-2007 06:52Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
If you have space, get more Neons & Glowlights. They are very beautiful fish. I don't think that they get mixed up, but like to stay & school together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2007 18:39Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
platy boy
-----
Banned
Kudos: 74
Votes: 30
male canada
EditedEdited by platy boy
If you have the space the more the maryier its not identity there just freinds all tetras love to school.

33 gallon 7 neon tetras-5 platys-3 bleeding heart tetras-2 corys-1 rainbow shark-2 L83 gibby plecos
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2007 18:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
judz
-----
Enthusiast
male canada
i dont have a ton of space cause i want to add a couple larger fish since all i have is schooling and bottom feeders right now.

Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2007 20:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
female usa
For larger fish...try a pair of gold gouramis.

Yup. I'm that crazy Twilight/animal/music girl
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 14:03Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
What size tank are we talking about? That's alot of schooling fish and to add 2 gold gouramis would require at least a 55g. I'd just add 2 glowlights and 2 black neons to finish out those schools and leave the neons since they are schooling with the glowlights and I doubt you can fit 3 proper schools. If it's a 55 then you could still add at least 1 gourami but if it's anything smaller I'd probably skip adding a large fish. If you really want something a bit larger and visible a smaller gourami like 1 dwarf might work but that's all the bigger I'd go for even a 30g.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jun-2007 17:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mikeingeorgia
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
male usa
I would have to say they know who is who. But, before adding more, what size of a tank are we talking about?

29g - 5 Head and Tail Light Tetras, 1 Black Phantom Tetra, 1 melanistius cory, 1 Featherfin Synodontis, 1 otto
29g - 14 harlequin rasboras, 5 albino corys, 3 ottos
10g - 1 glowlight tetra, 2 Black phantom tetras, 1 red betta on entertainment center
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2007 11:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies