Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTetras & Angels...
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 12
female usa
I think, not sure but think, that tetras and angels can go together if in a school of 10-15. Would that be okay?

10G- 6 Zebra Danios, 1 Upside Down Catfish
20G- 1 Goldfish
72G(maybe95)- Need Stock suggestions
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 02:55Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
If it is for the fifty-five gallon, absolutely. Just make sure that you choose a species which won't be small enough to be eaten, but won't be rowdy enough to tear up the angel's fins. Serpaes and penguins are two tetras that can be a problem in tanks, though usually they're okay if you have a nice big group. Ten to fifteen is plenty.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 04:46Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thank you sirbooks. It helped

20G- 1 Goldfish
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 18:40Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
You wouldn't actually have to have a group of 10-15 tetras to put them with an angel but the tetras would definitely appreciate it. Usually since I choose bigger tetras I go with 8-9. I like congo tetras and 15 of those don't fit in most tanks unless the whole tank is devoted to them. Whereas if you go with something small like cardinals(slight potential for angel food) or the black neons 15 would make a nice big school. 6 is generally considered the minimum number to keep together but I prefer to try to keep 8 of any schooling fish. Just about every tetra but the nippy ones work with angels but it's hit or miss with the smallest ones like neons and cardinals. Sirbrooks mentioned a few nippers and skirt tetras are usually on that list. I'd also caution about the cochus blue tetras which are showing up in alot of stores recently. They actually look dyed but aren't and are great colorful little tetras but are different from most every other tetra species. They are actually somewhat antisocial and if you put in a large group of over about 4-5 in a 55g they may fight.
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 19:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thanks sham I wouldn't want Tetras fighting... I would be putting in German Blue Rams and they get stressed easily(as far as I hear) so I wouldn't want boisterous fish.

20G- 1 Goldfish
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 20:51Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Tetras and angels work just fine. Like mentioned above you don't have to have 10-15....6-8 would work depending on the other fish in the tank. 8 is a good medium though..IMO.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 22:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 22-Oct-2006 22:00
This post has been deleted
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thank you GirlGirl1895

20G- 1 Goldfish
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 22:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Any one else?

20G- 1 Goldfish
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2006 23:24Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Well, if the space exists for you to have bigger shoals of Tetras with your other fishes, so much the better. If you ever get the chance to see a BIG characin shoal (for example, the 200 ro so Cardinals all in the one aquarium at Chester Zoo, not far from where I live) then you'll NEVER have small numbers of Tetras ever again - the visual spectacle that a big shoal provides will knock your socks off.

If you're planning on Angels and Papiliochromis ramirezi Cichlids (I won't bore you with my dissertation on why they;'re NOT "German" Rams ) then a decent sized shoal of Tetras will be the way to go. If there is space for 10 or more, go with the bigger group, and if there is only space for 6-8, run with that also. Which, of course, depends upon the species you choose. If you choose something like Rosy Tetras, which are big enough not to be Angelfish snacks but small enough to let you have 12 of them in there, then run with the group of 12 (and watch the fun and frolics when a decent sized gaggle of Tetras get together!). If on the other hand you decide to run with a larger Tetra species, you could be down to as few as 6 in the case of Congo Tetras because they're sizeable fishes when fully grown.

One possibility you could run with if you're looking for something different (and of course you can find it) is Arnold's Tetra, Arnoldichthys spilopterus from Africa. At 2.5 inches, it's big enough to avoid being a snack for the Angels even when the Angels are large adults, and fast enough to avoid being a snack too. However, I'd watch this one, it can be something of a jumper, so you'll need to keep it covered.

Personally, I'd advise you to run with Rosies or Lemon Tetras, as you'll be able to have 12 individuals of either of those species without trouble, and they'll be lively enough to make a fun spectacle in your aquarium without causing fin nipping problems or being a potential mobile lunch for the Angels. I had Lemons for nearly 10 years and they are seriously fun fishes.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2006 01:34Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Thank you Cali I will take hte Lemons into Consideration

20G- 1 Goldfish
Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2006 01:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Oh, by the way, if you run with Lemons, take note of the following.

Juvenile Lemons have yet to colour up fully. Plus, dealers have an unfortunate habit of putting them in bare aquaria. This does little to show the fishes off because they have a definite need for a planted setup (even just a few plants here and there will make a difference). So, at the dealer's, Lemons can look insipid and not in the least bit sparkling. Don't let this put you off.

What you do is this. You buy your juvenile Lemons, then spend the next six weeks or so feeding them up on colour enhancing ood (e.g., Tetra ColourPride) and intermittent live foods (in my experience, give Lemon Tetras live Bloodworm and you're looking at a feeding frenzy that puts sharks to shame!). After six weeks of that feeding regime, in a planted aquarium, you'll find that your insipid looking juvenile Lemons have become, ugly duckling into swan style, little blasts of sunshine yellow.

These shots should give you an idea what to expect ...

Lemon Tetra 1

Lemon Tetra 2

Lemon Tetra 3

Lemon Tetra 4

Oh, and note the upper half of the eye - it should be an intense ruby red in colour. Avoid like the plague any specimens that have dull grey irises or show signs of discolouration in the eye, as these specimens are either seriously diseased, or genetically weak and not long for this world. If your juvenile Lemons have bright red irises, and they're swimming about perkily with fins carried proudly, then they are good ones and you should snap them up if you're looking at acquiring a Lemon Tetra shoal.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2006 14:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
I have just the tank you're planning. I have 3 angels, a ram couple, two Apisto species, and a variety of tetras. In my tank I have a school of Von Rio tetras (very pretty half orange, half yellow) and I have several Cochu's blue tetras, and two left over rummy nose tetras (they survived a tank disaster). All my fish get along fine. The rams, Apistos, and angels posture toward each other as cichlids do, but no agression. I like my tank set-up really well.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2006 16:36Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishrockmysox
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
thanks you two

20G- 1 Goldfish
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2006 20:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
A few tetras I have kept with Angels
successfully with no issues:
Pristellas
Buenos Aires
Rummynose
Glowlights
Red Eye tetras
Ive also kept White Cloud minnows
and several kinds of danios with them as well.

I currently have 3 angels in my 75g
tank with a single rummynose (will be getting
more again when they go on sale) and 7
Buenos Aires Tetra (plan to add 3 more soon).
They look great together.
Buenos aires are nice, one of the most peaceful
tetras I have ever kept, and their colors are great.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 31-Oct-2006 21:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
With Angels i've kept these Tetras:- Rummynose, Lemon, Black Widows, Pristella, Emperor, Buenos Aires & Black Neons, but the tank was never less than a 120 Litre.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2006 10:26Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
Mine are all in a 75g or 280L
tank.

Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2006 20:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
All mine are in a 55. I really love those Von Rio tetras...they are so cool to look at. If you can grab some I highly recommend them.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2006 21:22Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by BruceMoomaw
I don't recommend keeping Neons, Glowlights, or any fish of comparably small size with full-grown Angels - the latter WILL go after them. (I've seen a full-grown Angel try to attack several young Gold Barbs.) However, any larger class of fish -- including full-grown Rummy-Noses and any fish of similar size -- seem to be safe from them.
Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2006 10:44Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
I have been keeping glowlights for years
with Angels. They never seem to even notice them
at all.

Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2006 20:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies