L# Betta not eating
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBetta not eating
Spannsa
Small Fry
Kudos: 6
Votes: 0
female
`( I am a beginner and I just bought a betta to go in a 10 gal tank. This is monday and I just got him yesterday. the problem is he didn\'t eat when I fed him. I didn\'t put a lot of food in the tank, but it looks like he didn\'t touch any of it. Is there a problem or am I just a paranoid first timer? :::
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2009 15:30Profile PM Edit Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
EditedEdited 28-Sep-2009 17:07
Hi Spannsa, and welcome to Fish Profiles!

It's exciting, getting into this hobby and there's definitely plenty to know and learn if you're going to have a successful, healthy aquarium.

Here's a couple articles from this site you'll want to read:

http://fishprofiles.com/articles/Acclimating__and_introducing_n/65/

http://fishprofiles.com/articles/Cycling_Without_Fish/31/

http://fishprofiles.com/articles/How_To_Buy_Healthy_Fish/43/

http://fishprofiles.com/articles/Tropical_Aquarium/68/

Those articles will give you some great background information covering some of the more important aspects of fishkeeping.

I am curious if you had gotten your tank properly set up prior to adding fish. With Betta's you can get away without cycling the tank, as long as you've added water conditioner to the water prior to adding the fish.

Ideally, you won't want to use a Betta (or any fish, really) to establish the nitrogen cycle in your tank (also know as "cycling" the tank). But a Betta can withstand the process, it's just not terribly pleasant for them.

In a nutshell, what happens in the cycling process is that ammonia is introduced into an uncycled tank, from pure ammonia or from fish waste, if there are fish present. Once bacteria begin to develop and thrive in the tank, they will feed on and convert this ammonia to nitrites. Ammonia and nitrites are both poisonous to most species of fish. However, there are hardier varieties of fish that can withstand the process of cycling a tank. Zebra danios are probably the most common fish used to cycle tanks. I cycled my last two tanks with pure ammonia (and no fish) I bought at the local store.

At any rate, these bacteria grow (in the filter media and the gravel mostly) and convert the ammonia to nitrites and after a time these nitrites will convert to nitrates. Once your water shows no ammonia and no nititres, you're cycled. Over all it can take 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank. I've done it in 2-3 weeks using pure ammonia.

Now, that's really just a simple explanation of the nitrogen cycle but it's really, really important, especially in a small 10g tank that you get this process completed before you add any other fish. The ammonia and nitrites can and will burn the fish's gills and can kill many species in even low quantities.

You'll want to purchase (if you haven't already) a good water testing kit,I recommend a liqud test kit over the strips, it's much more accurate. This way you can monitor your water daily until you're cycled. Also, you'll want a good tank thermometer, and if you're in a place that gets cold in the winter, a good tank heater. Depending upon the species of fish you'll want your water between 74 and 80 degrees farenheit, generally speaking.

As far as figuring out what's up with new Mr Betta and his eating, he may be stressed from the move into the new tank (especially if it's not been cycled). If you haven't conditioned the water (to remove the chlorine, etc) you'll need to do so as soon as possible, the chemicals found in tap water can kill your Betta if you do not condition the water. You can buy "Stress Coat" or various other water conditioners at probably any store that sells live fish.

Check the temp of your water, you'll want to be 75-80 degrees F, maybe low 80's max. The pH ideally ought to be 6-8. All these little water parameters can affect how your fish behaves and ultimately survives.

Fishkeeping is an AWESOME hooby and I hope you have fun with it! It really isn't too complicated, but it is REALLY important to get the water right and keep it clean and stable as far as temp and chemicals are concerned. It can be frustrating at first, getting the tank just right and getting your first few fish in there and happy but it is such a kool deal once you get their world established and they thrive!

Here's some good info on the Betta: http://fishprofiles.com/profiles/freshwater/Labyrinth_Fish/Betta_splendens/

Pay special attention to the types of fish you can have in there with him. You need other fish (and not too many, 10g is a small tank) that are peaceful and dont have flowing fins or resemble your Betta in any way. Is he feels like he sees another Male Betta in there with him, the fight is on and they don't call them Siamese Fighting Fish for nothing!

Neon or Cardinal tetras are nice with a Male Betta, Pristella Tetras are nice as well, Harlequin Raspboras are great with a Male Betta, or maybe a few Cory Catfish...

Do your research before adding more fish and that will serve you well!

Good luck and keep us posted. If you can let us know a little more specific info about your water parameters (ammonia/nitrites, nitrates, pH, temp, etc) that would help us figure out what's up with his eating. Also, what are you feeding him?

Thanks!!

Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2009 17:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
It can be frustrating at first, getting the tank just right and getting your first few fish in there and happy

Yeah.... tell me about it.... week 7 here, and STILL cyclying the tank (waiting for the nitrites to turn into nitrates). It's driving me nuts. I went to the fish store today and talked to a different guy (the head guy) and he said it could take several weeks longer than 6 weeks and there's nothing I can do but wait. *sigh* I'm sick of waiting!

Anyway, good luck with your new betta and tank Spannsa.
Post InfoPosted 30-Sep-2009 01:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Spannsa,
Scott gave you some great info there in the links and the post, very worthwhile reading .

Bettas I've found can be sometimes blind to their food. With ours he knows I'm feeding him, he knows that there is food coming, but he'll swim right past it unless I feed him off my finger, or if I touch the water right by where the food is.

Also, I've never had a betta that liked flake food, what are you feeding him? I've always used Hikari Betta biogold with mine. Current betta also gets a few bloodworms as a treat.

Be sure you siphon out any of the uneaten food as it'll just sit there and rot at the bottom.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 30-Sep-2009 01:40Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
Hikari is a good brand. My last betta (not this past one, but my actual last one that I had for nearly 2 years) LOVED Hikari pellets.

Babel's right though. They won't touch flake food. Sometimes they like brine shrimp too. I had one once that loved brine shrimp.
Post InfoPosted 30-Sep-2009 06:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 04-Oct-2009 20:33
This post has been deleted
DeletedPosted 04-Oct-2009 20:33
This post has been deleted
Spannsa
Small Fry
female
hey, my betta is now eating fine. I think he was just stressed out from the move into his new home.

My tank is still cycling, how often should I do a partial water change. I'm getting conflicting information. Some have said I need to do it daily, others have said that changing the water disrupts the cycle and can make it take longer.

Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2009 20:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Glad he's eating

Go to your LFS and look for a product called 'Cycle'. It will help the cycling process along.

Doing water changes can help reduce the stress on the fish, but it does make the cycling process take longer, thereby lengthening the time the fish is stressed. Doing water changes while the tank is cycling is usually only suggested if the fish is acting very stressed, gasping for air at the surface is one sign, however since bettas do breathe from the surface that's not going to work in this case.

Are you testing your water every day? For ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte? If not buy a master kit and start testing every day, post up your latest results to give us an idea of where you are in the process.

Many times betta 'tanks' aren't even cycled since they're often on the small side 1 gallon or so, and end up with near total or total water changes done once a week.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 22:05Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Spannsa
Small Fry
female
EditedEdited 06-Oct-2009 01:44
My ammonia levels are at .25, and I only bought a PH and ammonia test kit, not thinking about nitrite and nitrate levels. So I will have that kit by the end of the week.
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2009 01:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies