L# The Hospital
  L# GETTING SICKER BY THE HOUR :(
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGETTING SICKER BY THE HOUR :(
GuppiesR_US
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
Hey guys; Our pregnant guppy is in a 10 gallon tank with her fry. Around 15 or so. She One of her eyes (So far) have a white hazy look to them and she is having tan stringy poop for a couple days. She seems to have a loss in appetite and we just did a large water change yesterday (Part of our weekly Routine) Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2013 15:46Profile PM Edit Report 
barbdarb
Fingerling
Kudos: 26
Votes: 1
male usa
One important thing your leaving out here is water parameters. The only thing we have to go on us the hazy eye and the poop. Not all that much. Any factors from ammonia or nitrates or raise or drop in ph could be affecting this. You can go to any pet store and purchase a master test kit. It should be one that can test for ammonia and nitrates. And another one tht tests for ph gh kh etc. also you should limit the amount you change in a tank to either 10% every other week or so or 25% a month: especially with smaller tanks like a 10 gallon because a slight change can have a drastic affect on your tank. Hope the advice helps(:

2 tanks (for now)
1 30 gallon
1 22 gallon
Barb and oddball/predatory fish fan
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2013 03:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GuppiesR_US
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
We have one!
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:2.0
Nitrate:160 ppm
PH: 7.6
Temp:80 F
We are aware that those numbers are high. We are just kind of at a stand still.
Another thing we would like to note. Last week we had our first brown algae take attack on the lower portion of the tank. Which was cleaned off when we did the water change.
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2013 23:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited 04-Sep-2013 00:13
Brown algae and nitrItes showing in your water looks like the tank is cycling, since you have (really high) nitrAtes it looks like what's referred to as a "minicycle"

10 gallon tanks are known to crash, especially when overstocked.

I'd do a 25% water change now, and another 25% change in 12 hours. Increase surface agitation by adding an airstone, if you havent' got one lower the water level a little so that your filter creates more of a splash.

Be sure when you do the water change you siphon only a small portion of the gravel at a time, you don't want to take away too much of the good bacteria.

Also be sure you're using a good quality dechlorinator (one that does chlorine and chloramine.)

Make sure filter media is cleaned in the used tank water before dumping the water out in the garden. Add some Biocycle to filter media to help reestablish the good bacteria.

Cut back feeding, I'd feed every other day for now. You can try offering one frozen pea that has been warmed to room temperature. Roll it in your fingers till it pops from the outer skin (skin can be put in the compost or garden). Then divide the two halves up with a knife or your finger nail and feed small bits of the pea at a time. That'll help with any constipation issues.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2013 00:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
As for water changes, I would like to note that I do 50% water changes every week on my 10-gallon tank with very good results, and would recommend (once the tank is cycled) transitioning to a similar schedule. 10% every other week or 25% a month will only keep a large and lightly stocked or heavily planted tank clean.

><>
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2013 09:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies