Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 1211
Votes: 196
male mexico
EditedEdited by Falstaf
Hi all!

I've had this guy for almost a year now, i LOVE him, he has the greatest attitude I'd ever seen on a betta. When i got him he was all red and just blue sparks on his body.

About 3 months ago, he started showing discoloration on his lower fin, so i thought it was a kind of bacterial disease, so i treat him for a week with Sera Backtopur, on and off i've been treating him with that and a water change every other day.

As you can see the discoloration is now on all his fins, i switched to just salt in his water and nothing.

So now i'm wondering, is this a disease or just normal, can anyone help, really lost in this one.

He eats fine, he let's me pet him, he swims all the time in hist tank, his poop looks fine, no symptoms whatsoever.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Falstaf/DSCN2824.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Falstaf/DSCN2820.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Falstaf/DSCN2818.jpg
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 03:25Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Hmm, that is something interesting.

The colour pattern is a bit odd too, otherwise I'd think maybe he's got a marbling gene. Has he lost any colour on the body also? Maybe just gone lighter or slightly less red in one area? Is it spreading towards the edges?

The only thing that is throwing me is the pattern that it is occurring in, which is unusual. Colour loss to that extent is not unusual, and the time frame does seem to fit with that sort of thing. If you got him from a breeder, maybe ask if they had any marbles or butterflies in the spawn, or if the line carries any marble genes.

The fins look reasonably healthy to me, other than the colour. Do they look normal to you? do they flow nicely etc?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 04:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
Hi Callatya!

Thanks for the replay.

I agree is interesting and odd at the same time.

I first thought it was tail rot (which he had when i got him), but the odd thing was it started from the body towards the edge of the fins. The body hasn't suffer any type of discoloration keeps the red and some blue scales.

I stopped the treatment because his fins do look healthy they flow nicely, as i mention he's very active, in fact it took me like 1 hour to take the photos because he keeps moving around, anything that catches his attention he goes for it.

As i was taking the photos last night i noticed that there is some really light blue strains on the discolored area, but other than that i have no clue.

I can't ask the breeder because i got him (rescued him) from a market,
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 20:32Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
So... anyone else?

Should i worry or just let it be?
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2008 03:09Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
falstaf!

Hmmm
All I can add is that I had a goldfish go from very deep dark orangey red (so red that we named him Wrigly after the gum) to white over a few months time.

I'm trying to remember now, but I think it started in the fins then went to the body, and never came back.

Probably totally different but I thought I'd post it, that's been my only experience with color changing fish.

Also, from the photos it doesn't look to be what I've experienced with fin rot which is a translucency of the fins. What I see in the photos the fins still look opaque and not translucent. I've not had all that much experience with fin rot so that might not be accurate in all cases... but ya, you get what I'm trying to say .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2008 03:50Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Falstaf

----------
Fish Addict
male mexico
HI Babel!!! How are you?? long time no type

LOL i get it, is your goldie doing fine regardless of the color change?

I don't mind if he changes color i just want him healthy regardless, i've never had this before so i have no idea either, for me tail rot is like easy to cure many bettas here come with it.
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2008 04:13Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Doing good, was just thinking how long it's been

Last I saw of the golfish he was happy healthy and eating fine. I had to give him up for adoption when I moved, but luckily he went to a good place. A meals on wheels type program bought my car and happened to have a pond for the fish at the same time.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2008 03:59Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 06-Nov-2008 07:05
This post has been deleted
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies