SubscribeHelp...
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 55
Votes: 0
male uk
Help!
Two days ago, I bought 5 new fish. 3male & 2female guppies, and some livefoods, Brought them home acclimated them.. let them go.. Woke next morning to find the males dead, both the females fine... Did a 20% water change..
Took out the bodies, Was fine for the rest of the day, Woke up this morning to find 1 neon tetra dead. 2 plecos struggling to breathe..(I have 3 pandas) 1 panda cory swimming funny, 1 fine 1 disapeared. other corys all fine... All guppy fry are fine.. All the other guppies and new girls are fine...

What could it be?
I think it could be Diseased livefood, Copper posining(Sp)
frm the tap water... Or diseased fish.. though all the fish show no Fungus, spots, redness..
Help!
R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 07:46Profile PM Edit Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
EditedEdited by Rookie_boy
Please reply someone!!
Update.. Both plecos died.. Missing panda cory found floating with a swollen red belly. Another neon died.
The panda tht was swimming in a funny way has died..
A false julli cory and a female guppy has started to swim funny too..I am sure they will die. Today is Truly a sad day for me.. so far I found dead...
2 plecos,
2 neons,
2 pandas,
3 guppies,

R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 11:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
Oh dear, thats not good... what size is your tank and what are your water parameters. Without that information it will be harder for someone to help you.

Hopefully someone will have some advice for you soon.

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 12:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
It is a 29g I took a sample of tank water and went to lfs to get it tested The employee just said The water is fine..

I'm hoping no more fish will die..
R_boy
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 13:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tiamet2B
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 10
female usa
I'm sorry to hear about your fish. The same thing happened to me a few months ago. I had 3 danios and 2 neon tetra that were very healthy until I bought two new neon tetra and added them to the tank. After about a week all of the fish were dead. The water was fine and I tried multiple changes. The fish were swollen before they died, so everyone I talked to said it was most likely an internal infection that they all caught from the LSF fish. I might have been able to save them with some kind of medication, but I didn't know what was going on. See if you can find any diseases online that match the red swelling. Can anyone else give more information about bacterial infections and whether they think this might be the problem???
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 17:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Sorry about all your losses.

This is a good site for disease help. It has pictures that will hopefully help you figure out what is killing your fish.

Did the dead fish have any other symptoms besides the red, swollen bellies?

When you get your water tested at the LFS, I suggest asking for exact values. Not just a good/bad answer. To them 50ppm of nitrate could be fine....but really that's high.

Instead of relying on the LFS for water parameters, I would get a test kit. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes a good master test kit that has the basic nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and pH tests. I wouldn't have a tank with alot of fish in it and not have a test kit.

Check out that site and see if you can find any pictures that look like what your fish had.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 17:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
Another false julli cory and another female guppy has started to swim funny too. No the fish did not have other symptoms apart from being dead. None of the fish on the website look the same as my fish. I will buy a test kit soon.

R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 18:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 08-May-2006 18:46
This post has been deleted
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
wat live food did u give them
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 21:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
I dunno what they were.. but they was not bloodworms, or daphina, But I think they were BrineShrimps, Okay,
No other fish has died.
R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 21:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
did u wash the live food first befor u put it in

as that is wat people say u should do with brine shrimp
Post InfoPosted 08-May-2006 22:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
No I did't wash the live foods. I did't knw that people are supposed to. Duh! A False Julli and pygmy rastaboras has died.. Hoping nothing else will die..

But do corys and plecos eat brineshrimps?

R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2006 07:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
carpe_diem
----------
Fish Addict
*Dreamer*
Kudos: 292
Votes: 51
female australia
If the brineshrimp are on the gravel they would.

Did you pour the whole bag of brine shrimp straight into the tank ? if you did the water that the shrimp come in could have been contaminated ... its also not good for your water...

the only thing i can suggest is maybe do a water change and see if that helps.. if it is something in the water then it will help remove it at least....

Truth doesn't always win friends but it influences them
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2006 08:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
I did'nt pour the whole bag of brine shrimp straight into the tank, I first held a net over a sink and poured the brineshrimp in... The water went through the net.. and the brineshrimp were trapped in the net and I let them go in the tank....

Another guppy has died.. Another is floating but not dead yet...

R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2006 18:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
the reason to wash them, is live brineshrimp are saltwater, and it would affect your fresh water tank, the only other thing that stands out, is guppies.

to me, it should as they had a health problem, which spread to the otehr fish. thats why a QT is a must for people who have established tanks, as 100 usd worth of fish die, for 6 usd guppies.
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2006 23:18Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
EditedEdited by inkling
What all do you have in the tank now? If you have 2 plecs and some cories in a 29g Id be concerned that they arnt getting enough food...

Inky
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2006 05:58Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Pandemic diseases among that spectrum of fish are mega-rare. Youd be unlucky to lose such a cross-section of species from a singular ailment with no visible symptoms, so Id still be doublechecking the water quality despite having the shops kit come up "fine". If the shop uses test strips instead of electronic sensors or proper chemical test kits the water quality could still be way off. A toxin that doesnt show on the test kit could also be at fault. You want to be pressing for the specifics, ammonia nitrite and nitrate with precise readings.

Id do at least a 50% water change,(using water dechlorinators and conditioners of course) clean the filter media in the old tankwater, and repeat the same in about a week and see if things pick up.Id also deep clean the gravel, and run some carbon filtration.

Also live feeds are entirely unrequired for your fish, they should accept frozen irradiated foods or dry flakes and tablets no problem.If the brineshrimp were in their raising liquid you might have just poured a vinegar solution into your tank, and that can even cause filter bacteria death, so id be very sure I cleaned the tank as much as possible before trying meds or the bacterial war in the tank could get downright toxic. Brineshrimp should always be sieved out and washed before offering them to fish. I think you will need to check your ph too, because it could be completely insane.

Hope that helps.

What filter do you have, and do you have additional oxygenation?
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2006 15:16Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Endo.Crono.Logic
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Sounds like your tank hasn't cycled. Is it new? Fish usually struggle to breathe when ammonia levels are extreme, which would also explain the mass sudden death of numerous species. I highly doubt it was the food.
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2006 17:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
Inkling.. The 2 plecos have died.. There were 6 cories.. 3 false julli, 3 pandas, 2 pandas are dead.. 1 F julli is dead..
L.H.G i knw Lifefood are not needed.. It was just a treat for the fish.. I have a airstone..
Endo.. the tank is not new.. it is three years old..
But The deaths seem to have stopped.. (Touch wood!)
Might buy a test kit at the lfs this weekend..

R_Boy..
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2006 22:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies