AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# The Hospital
  L# How quickly to prolapsed intestines heal?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow quickly to prolapsed intestines heal?
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Last night when I was turning off the lights in my main tank, I noticed that the California Roach in there (as a companion for my Fathead Minnow) had a pretty bad prolapsed intestine. The fish was swimming around and acting perfectly fine, but the anal region looked really bad. I was going to make a post about it here, but I was about half-asleep at the time.

This morning when I went to check on the fish, I was surprised to find that the prolapsed intestine was nearly gone... It looked like it had retreated back into the body. Needless to say, the fishes' vent is still pretty swollen, and at certain angles I can see the intestinal tissue inside the fish (I think the anus is a bit stretched out). The fish is still acting perfectly normal, but I am not feeding it for now.

Is this the normal healing time for a prolapsed intestine? I was under the impression that it took a few days at the least, and occasionally it doesn't heal at all and the fish ends up dying. How long should I wait before feeding the fish? Also, what sort of thing could have caused a prolapsed intestine? I haven't fed the fish anything weird.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2006 21:05Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

Here's a crappy picture for your enjoyment. Notice how there is no longer any rectal tissue outside the body, but the general area is still swollen.

Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2006 21:34Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

Ahh! It came back!

Is there anything I can do for the the fish? It holds its pelvic fins far apart, so I'm guessing it's pretty painful.

Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2006 23:54Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Hi Natalie,
Ive had that happen to several guppies and
several ottos, and none of them survived very long.
Always the intestine ruptured and the fish died within
seconds afterwards.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 00:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

Just a few seconds? You you must have watched it actually happen?

This fish got the prolapse (as far as I know) last night, and since then it has been acting normal except that it appears to be in pain around that area.

I've always read that prolapses (in fish, at least) just pretty much have to heal themselves, and if they don't then the fish dies. I'm pretty sure the Roach tried to defecate before it fully healed, which is what caused the prolapse to return. I'm hoping that by not feeding the tank, the fish will have a chance to heal better.

I guess I'll just hold off on feeding until the fish either gets better or dies...

Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 01:37Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

OK, the fishes' rectum retreated back into the body again. Let's hope it stays that way this time. The fish is starting to act exhausted (not swimming around as much), but his colors are still bright and he's still picking at plants and stuff.

Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 05:37Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
With the last otto it happened to I did actually watch.
I noticed it at feeding time in the evening.
While I was watching the fish eat, the otto refused to eat and became very upset suddenly, then the intestine actually ruptured, like a bubble popping, lots of yellow liquid came out, and the fish flipped belly up and was dead.
It was an awful horrible thing I wish Id never seen.
The otto was like this for maybe....12 hours or so,
cuz it wasnt like that at the earlier feeding in the morning.

Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 08:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

So they had the prolapse for a while before, and it ruptured later?

I don't quite understand what could rupture, though. In a prolapse, nothing in the intestine is blocked, it's just that the rectum sort of turns inside out and protrudes.

With your fish, it sounds like it might have had like an abscess that was filled with yellowish fluid that ruptured.

Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 08:56Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
Natalie,
the prolapse happened about 12 hours before the fish died.
It looked exactly as in your pics as well.
I think the rupture was from the fish trying to poop
and being unable.

Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 19:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

Hmm... That's pretty weird. From what I've been reading, most fish actually survive prolapsed intestines.

Well, the prolapse in my fish hasn't come back again as of this morning, so I'm hoping it might have healed a bit. The cloacal area is still swollen, but the fish is swimming around more.

I guess I'll just hold off feeding for a few more days.

Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2006 21:19Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

I believe the fish is still healing. Some of the swelling looks like it has gone down.

Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2006 21:32Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jester_fu
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 522
Votes: 12
male australia
I lost my Moorii to this. What i found out, through the time it was ill, was that the biggest problem is secondary infection. If the prolapse is caused by a blockage then chances are whatever is in there will cause a secondary infection. Have you started treating with any med's? It might be worth trying a course of gram negative antibiotics to treat any possible internal infections.
Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2006 01:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

I have not used any meds yet, mainly because the fish just didn't appear to be sick. Despite the fact that its rectum was hanging outside of its body, the fish was still swimming around and chasing the other fish.

The Roach is still healing. The swelling has mostly gone away and much of the redness is gone as well. I'm fairly certain the fish will be fine within a week.

Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2006 03:29Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
female usa us-california

Just another update, and hopefully the last: The fish now appears to be perfectly healthy, and is eating again. The vent area does not appear to be swollen anymore.

Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2006 02:37Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies