Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 76
Votes: 92
female canada
EditedEdited by Twilight
(Edited title, hoping for more input)

One of my female bettas has a little fuzzy white spot on each of her pectoral fins today. She's the only one so far, and she's still behaving normally.

ph: 7.2
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 5 mg/l
Temp: 24 C

I did a 25% water change on Tuesday and did a little rearranging of a couple of plants, so I stirred things up a bit, but not enough to cloud the water.

I can't get a picture of her that's any better than a blur. She won't stay put, and I don't have the technology to compensate for a moving fish.

So, is a fuzzy white dot ich or fungus, or something else? It had all been going so well....

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2008 23:55Profile PM Edit Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
it is most likely fungus, fin rot, or ick, if is was ick, it would be small and there is likely going to be more, if it is at the edge of the fin, it may be fin rot. with fin rot the fin can have black or white discolored edges to their fins and it can look like another fish nipped it. if it is fungus it might be on the body too, beleive me, i have had LOTS of fungus probloms, if you manage to get a picture, please show us. You may also want to keep her seperate from the rest of her tankmates so they dont get it

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2008 18:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HorseGal
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
sorry if i confused you with my blabbering

What came first? the chicken or the egg? No really.....
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2008 18:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I've been looking into a disease that I think is similar if not the same: very small white spots that are somewhat fuzzy. I keep running into "Columnaris", but I don't know that's what it is or not.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2008 19:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
Well, on our third day of ich meds, my little blue betta still has those two spots, one on each pectoral fin. I'm not totally convinced that this is ich. I've got the tank up to 80F/27C.

I've looked at Columnaris, but that doesn't sounds right either.

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2008 22:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Twilight
----------
Hobbyist
female canada
EditedEdited by Twilight
I've edited the title hoping that people won't just shrug their shoulders and think this is yet another simple ich case. I suspect HG is right and that this is fungal.

After 4 days of treatment, with the tank at 80F, the spots are still there and I think they're a little larger.

Plan A: I'm thinking water change, which has to happen anyway, and then a dose each of melafix and pimafix, and see how that goes.

Plan B: I'm also considering moving Blue to a hospital tank and dosing her there instead. The one concern I have about melafix is that bettas can react badly to it, and, as I understand it, bettafix is just a dilution of melafix so that it's easier to caclulate dosage for a "betta bowl".

So, plan A, plan B, or something else?

I vote! Do you?
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2008 22:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
plan a and b totaly up to you,but you could go to your lfs,and ask for something like a multi-cure,im not saying ask for that very product,something that doesnt just cure ick,something that can cure multipull things,i found the multicure great stuff hence the name,but it trashes your bio filter,anyway hope this helpsgood luck
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 04:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies