AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# The Hospital
  L# Possible wasting disease/tb or ?????
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePossible wasting disease/tb or ?????
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
Ive had a specific line of show quality guppies for less than 3 months... bought a colony. They are in with a line of shrimp, that honestly I have more money and time invested in than the guppies.

Guppies were qt'd for a month- fed an antiparasitic food as a preventitive for part of qt. no issues until 2 days ago.

They are literally wasting away infront of my eyes, then go listless and quit eating,then fins clamp, and then they hover in one spot till death. This process is lasting 12-36 hours....females lasting longer, males going quicker.no other signs or symptoms....

I have pulled a few newborn fry to try and save them... treating with antibiotics....

All the tank specs are great- depending on tank
nitrates are less than 10, to 20... Fry tanks water changes 3 times a week, adults once weekly, all tanks have plants- mostly floating/ java moss/ stem plants

nitrites, ammonia ect- 0, ph 7.8

Im ready to euthanize a whole line as after all research, it seems hopeless.once symptoms show up, its to late.

the guppies are done for.... I know this, hate it... but cant see saving them, its progressing TOooo fast.... had 1 fish show signs in 1 tank on the first day, 2 fish in another tank on that day.... today- day 2, except for newborn fry, everyone is at some stage of this, that is still alive.

My biggest question right now- and im hoping SOMEONE on here would be able to give me an answer

IS IT POSSIBLE TO SaVE THE SHRIMP?? can they GET this, carry this, pass it on to any other fish....????

and whats the chances of saving the fry??

Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2010 20:25Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited 08-Nov-2010 23:44
yikes!

I don't know, but my first impulse is to move the shrimp to a separate tank if you have one you can set up set up. Don't seed the tank from your existing tank but use some biospria or cycle if you can get some from the LFS. Also use new water, and a careful acclimation process to try and minimize any cross contamination.

I'd say that if the shrimp get their claws on a dead guppy they'd eat it and possibly get it. I know you can't be watching the tank at all times, do you move the clamped fin guppies to a fry net to separate them out?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 08-Nov-2010 23:43Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
female usa us-illinois
as soon as I started seeing symptoms, I started pulling fish to breeders --but it got to the point that they were going faster and faster...I euthanized the majority of them . THe fry that i treated with antibiotics, died the same deaths as the adults.

Currently- i have 2 adult pairs and a couple of juvis with minimal symptoms, that are in a newly set up qt tank...

THe shrip have also been moved,to another qt tank, so far no signs/ symptoms/ deaths

I heard back from the guy that i got these from, and his are showing the same signs, but on a MUCH smaller scale. He also tried antibiotics... didnt work for him either. He has now put his entire strain on strict qt also...His as lasting much longer than mine are- 1 month from first symptoms, till death. Mine are lasting only a few hours now once symptoms show up.Im thinking that its from moving them... ????

Only conclusion I have been able to come up with is that - this started with his fish,and the stress of him shipping them to me, acclimating to my water, made whatever this is take a huge hold on these fish... only differences we have been able to come up with is the time from first symptoms till death....and that HIS continue till eat up till the end, where mine are not...

Ive got 30 tanks running... all on sep systems... everyone is qt'd from everyone else.... nets soaked in sterilizing solution between uses...gravel vaccs the same.... i have a couple nets and gravel vacs that are JUST for the possibility of sick tanks....I use one gravel vacc- do a water change, rince it off in the sink- it goes into a new solution bucket, then I pull out another for the next tank... and so on... Time consuming - yes.... but i dont have to worry abut stuff transferring... Once symptoms started, i pulled out the ones for " sick tank use- and thats all thats touching these these guys till I get to the bottom of it.
Post InfoPosted 09-Nov-2010 23:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Sounds like you're doing what you can.
Least you know it didn't come from you, I fully agree the stress of shipment would make the symptoms worse.
Are you still feeding antiparasitic food? It might be worth a shot combined with the antibiotics.

Garlic is supposed to be an appetite enhancer, I've used it before in my tanks, soak the food in some, not too much though. I don't know for sure that it did any help, but it didnt' do any harm that I saw, and they ate the food (in this case anti parasitic pellets).

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2010 05:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
female usa us-illinois
the few left are not getting anyworse... but 2 of those are preg females.... so not sure how they are going to handle dropping fry- Its doubtful..

They are eating again, trying the garlic, seems to be helping.

Shrimp are still fine.

Still not sure what this exactly is.....
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2010 19:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
If you have a university in your area, might try contacting the biology or veterinary departments. They might be able to use a sample for testing as a lab for their students. Most likely they'd need tissue sample, so unless you have some in the freezer it might not work.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2010 22:53Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies