L# The Hospital
  L# Severum breathing fast!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSeverum breathing fast!
DustinGerard
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
I noticed over the past few days that my Golden Sev is breathing very fast compared to all my other fish. The others all all doing fine but I went get my water tested anyway and the LFS store said my water is perfect. I have been observing the fish and also noticed that my Krib is chasing the Sev quite a lot but he doesnt seem to actually nip him. I'm running 2 Magnum 350 canisters with carbon as well as 3 airstones. Temperature is at 82 F which to me is fine for my South American cichlids, but Ive heard Sevs like it cooler recently. The Sev is eating normally, swimming normally, and not going to the top for air either. Also I changed the water yesterday and their has been no change to his breathing. Any ideas?

Here is a picture of him so maybe someone can tell any physically abnormalities from that
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2013 16:11Profile PM Edit Report 
DustinGerard
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
It seems like the picture didnt load...sorry about that
Post InfoPosted 11-Nov-2013 16:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I think you've already mentioned enough to know what the problem is: if severums like cooler water and your tank is kept at 82, the water is likely not able to hold as much oxygen as it really needs. More gases (including oxygen) can dissolve in cooler water, and fish from these environments do better in similar conditions in the aquarium.

><>
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2013 11:30Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies