Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSick goldfish
Fantail
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
Hi guys,

Just wondering if you can help. I have just lost a fantail goldfish, and now another one is going in a similar direction. I had the water tested today, and the pH and nitrogen tests came out fine.

Both the fish developed black spots on their gills, and, how do I say this delicately) their poo looked stringy and clear. The one I still have is still swimming a little, but sometimes half on its side, and it seems to have lost its appetite. The one that passed was floating on its side for a few days, had lost its appetite, and couldn't swim straight - when it tried to swim down, it swum on its side in a very awkward way.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what it could be? Or what I could do to help it? I am wondering whether I should be separating it from the other fish (which are fine at the moment)? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Fantail
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2007 08:13Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Black spots on a goldfish's gills are usually not an indication of disease, but a sign that the fish is a male. This shouldn't be considered a symptom. The other things you have mentioned appear to be digestive issues causing swimbladder problems. In the fish, especially fancy goldfish, the intestines are right next to the swimbladder and arranged such that when they're constipated or irritated, the balance and bouyancy of the fish is affected. Most likely, feeding peas will help the situation, if that doesn't work, parasitic infestation is also possible, and if your fish hasn't improved in a couple days of eating peas (hopefully you can get him to eat, and you may need to separate him just so he doesn't have to compete for food), you should begin treating for parasites.

><>
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2007 09:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
kantankerousmind
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 34
Votes: 9
male usa
superlion has some sound advice. PS though, make sure the peas are blanched and shelled..
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2007 15:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Hi Fantail. Sorry to hear about your goldies.

A bit more info on the fish and their environment would be useful in determining the cause of their problems, helping to treat the current issues and to prevent it from happening again.

If you can, please provide as much information as you can about the tank, water quality parameters, fish numbers, size, age etc and your routines for feeding and maintenance.

This thread (one of the stickies from the top of the hospital page) gives more detail on the information required to help you get an accurate diagnosis and suggested treatment plan.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2007 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies