Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAmazing
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
I live in a really small town with a population of < 1,000, its a place where nothing exciting really happens.
Saturday night the Mobil station was broken into for the 3rd time in less than a year. You will never guess how the thieves got in!! They cut a hole through the siding between the studs, pulled out the insulation and then cut a hole through the sheet-rock! Apparently it had to have been an inside job because the burglars knew where the piping, propane lines etc were...but still!!

Who thinks of cutting a hole in the wall to break into a building!?!?!

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2007 19:22Profile PM Edit Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

"Who thinks of cutting a hole in the wall to break into a building!?!?!"

If they thought the doors & windows had a security system on them, then that ONLY leaves the walls, ceiling, or dig in through the floor.

What amazes me is that they went to all that trouble! I wonder how much they got for their effort? Most places now, take their money to the bank at closing.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2007 19:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
Does that mean that every one in your town came out in the booty pjs and watch the cops "investigate". I dont live in a small town but the thought made me laugh. When every there is police activity in a neighborhood every one comes out so I can only image that in a small town its everyone. Through the wall around the pipes and past the studs is straight out of a movie

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2007 22:14Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
EditedEdited by doedogg
If they thought the doors & windows had a security system on them, then that ONLY leaves the walls, ceiling, or dig in through the floor.
They actually disabled the alarm system by removing the phone line from the alarm box thingy. It would have been easier just breaking a window at that point! The alarm company knew the phone line wasn't working but didn't do anything about it. I would be if I was the owner of the store!

Does that mean that every one in your town came out in the booty pjs and watch the cops "investigate
Its funny that you mention that...I almost ran over to get a cup of coffee that morning, not knowing what had happened, (in my PJs) but decided not to because I'm lazy. I'm sure there were tons of people there and I'm sure the owner showed them everything too. At least he did the last time he was robbed. So much for a secure crime scene!

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2007 22:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

"They actually disabled the alarm system by removing the phone line from the alarm box thingy. It would have been easier just breaking a window at that point!"

Strange! I wonder what they were thinking that made them decide not to do that?

"The alarm company knew the phone line wasn't working but didn't do anything about it. I would be if I was the owner of the store!"

I agree! Surly the alarm co. knows that one reason for a dead ph. line is that the lines have been cut to disable the alarm! Duh! The least they could have done was to send Andy or Barney over there to check it out.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 29-Mar-2007 21:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
Mabey these people wanted to be complicated

Inky
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2007 19:23Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
There weren't big boxes labelled ACME laying around, were there?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 02:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Racso
---------------
----------
Mega Fish
Some Assembly Required
Kudos: 1442
Votes: 35
male usa us-ohio
the issues with alarms that most people do not realize (and now you will).

First, ALL alarms have a delay. AKA, they have to give time for someone (a good guy) to shut the alarm off or arm the alarm and get out of the place. Usually 30, 45, or 60 seconds.

Second, most popular companies with then call the place or a designated number to confirm that something is wrong. Sometimes you just forget the password. At my job we have a "code word" written down in a secret spot that if we forget the code (the code gets changed as employees leave or whatnot) the company will call and we give them this code. This can take about 30 more seconds.

Third, once the alarm company decides that the alarm is real, they now have to contact the local police station, usually via phone. After about 10 to 15 second to connect and the phone picked up, this is how something will go: "Hello, Police station"
"Hi this is Joe at ACME Alarm Co., We have an alarm going off at 123 Something Street, SomeCity, ZIPPY."
"Ok, I'll dispatch an officer."
"Thank you, goodbye"
Given that that will take about 10 to 15 seconds,you then have to give at LEAST 5 to 10 seconds more for the officer to START the dispatch and then 5 to 10 more seconds before the officer receives the full dispatch.

For those counting, thats 30 min. for the delay, 30 seconds for the phone call, 10 more seconds for the police call, 10 more seconds for the conversation, 5 to change over, 5 to give the dispatch. Thats a MINIMUM of 90 seconds before a police officer even moves toward the place. A minute and a half MINIMUM from the time the window is broken to the time an officer knows theres a break in.

This is a minimum basis. What if the delay is longer? What if the alarm company is short staffed or a new guy is working? What if the police station doesn't answer right away? What if someone along the line is lazy and doesn't immediately go to the next step? I still haven't factored in the time it will take for the officer to drive to the location. This can vary! What if the closest cop is simply a mile away. A mile. That is not very far. If the cop drives 60 MPH, it will take a full minute to get to the place. Can cops really drive 60MPH on curvy roads or through parking lots?

For those of you who may be thinking, wow, I could unload a bunch of money from some stores around me! Now for the other security part. Even if you do break in and think you have time, consider this. How are you going to get into the office? (many places have locked offices. Sure you could break them down as long as they are not like the store I used to work for that had a concreate office with steel blast doors) And even if you get into the office, what are you going to do about the safe? Money is a bad thing to steal, merchandise is more profitable.

Now those of you who think you can now rob a store there are other security measures that most people don't even know about......

One is many places take a small, expensive, and very important part from some merchandise thus making it useless to steal the main product. You can't sell non working equipment on ebay...
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 16:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Is there something you're not telling us about your former job, Jorge?

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 17:58Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
Yeah. There are three possible solutions as to why Jorge was able to explain this to us.

A) He is scree writter fro some Hollywood Studio

B) He is one of those really smart criminals you only see in the movies not the ones from real life who rob a Wendys and then go back later that night to order a Hamburger.

or

C) He's a cop

i guess also he could be a combination of B and C and therefore he did it hmmmmmm

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 20:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
Could it be just that they figure theyneeded time in the store and didn't want somebody ie: Police,Cops,Po Po to notice the broken window. Maybe they wanted to do damage to the place so they could claim more insurance. Or, maybe they saw it on TV. Here in Miami we see people who cut throw the roof or try and go down the ac vents. I can tell you this much it wasn't a crack head to much work involved. Didn't she say they broken in 2 times prior, maybe they thought the own fixed how they got in the other 2 times and really wanted what was inside.

Djrichie
"Don't Panic"

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2007 20:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Racso
---------------
----------
Mega Fish
Some Assembly Required
Kudos: 1442
Votes: 35
male usa us-ohio
EditedEdited by Racso

I swear.... that $100,000 fell out of the sky!!!

EDIT:

You're just lucky I'm not saying how employees can take $1000s of merchandise and a) the company not know for a while and b) when they do know, not even have a clue on which employee to look at.

Supervisors worried about me robbing the store to death but then I asked them, "If I planned on actually doing half the stuff I'm telling you about, why would I tell you?" They then starting asking me to think of more security holes to tighen things up.

I'm not right....
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2007 17:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies