Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBasenji and the cub
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 311
Votes: 5
female india
I am busy doing some research on basenji's since I am thinking of getting a dog, if any of you can share your experience with this particular breed, it would be a great help.

Meanwhile, this is an interesting article I came across:

http://www.basenji.dk/indexUK.htm
Post InfoPosted 05-Mar-2008 08:56Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
I read up on the dog too. It looks like a pain in the neck to me. I wouldn't get one myself, but I wish you a lot of luck if you get one!

So have you decided one way or the other yet?
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2008 07:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
female india
I've decided I am getting a dog. We are thinking of either a Beagle or a basenji, I know, very different personalities. I dont know which one for sure though. Most breeders expect breeding rights and dont like the fact that we are most likely to be going back to India in a year or so.

I am like, I am paying a huge amount for this dog, and then you want breeding rights too?
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2008 11:23Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa
Girl, Beagles are hunting dogs too & active. Isn't there a non hunting dog that strikes your fancy? The shelters are full of hunting dogs that people get & don't realize how much exercise & entertainment they need. They then become problem dogs, to the point that the people end up getting rid of them. Mutts & mixed breeds can make excellent pets too & are free or not that much to adopt from a shelter. You can even find pure breds in shelters.

The breeders where you live want breeding rights along with a good price for you to buy the dog!? Where do you live?? Are dogs in shortage over there? That sounds ridiculous to me! I don't blame you for being upset!
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2008 05:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
female india
I live in Budapest at the moment, and want to buy a dog here because of the quality of dogs compared to what we get in India.

I just want a dog to hang around with and am not sure what breed to get, we need to get a puppy though since my husband is frightened of dogs, so I need a calm quiet dog that can grow up with the hubby.

Once I go back to India, I have to be able to palm the dog off to my Ma-in-law once in a while, so it has to be good looking

What breed do you suggest? We dont get a lot of breeds here, there are the local breeds, the vizsla is beautiful with a red coat but I think it might be too energetic for us. Then there are labs and beagles and some other breeds, not too many to choose from though.
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2008 13:33Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa
What breed do I suggest? Ah, what a hard question to answer. What dog to get depends on your living situation, you & your hubbies personalities & the personality of the breed of dog you are considering. I read up on the vizsla dog & it does not seem to be a dog for beginners. A lab on the other hand seems to be the best choice you have mentioned so far. I think they are the most popular dog in the world & probably for good reason. Their personality seems to be fairly stable, as in loving & friendly. I read up on them too & their main vice seems to be chewing on things. This can be averted or held down to a minimum with proper training & attention. Provide plenty of proper chew toys & keep everything else put up. Don't let the puppy have the run of the house unobserved when you are there or not there.

I remember a post of yours once where it seemed that you two had a very busy working schedule. Does that still apply? Unless you are home all the time to watch the puppy, it needs to be in a dog crate & then let out once in awhile to relieve itself outside & to eat & drink & get exercise.If it is left alone with the run of the house it will relieve itself all over the floor, especially on any carpeting. It will also chew on anything that strikes it's fancy, from dog toys to shoes & furniture & the corner of cabinets. Are you sure you two can handle the needs of a puppy?

Also a decent sized dog needs a walk everyday for it's health & to help relieve stress & pent up energy. Are you willing to take that walk everyday for many years to come? If you end up with a house with a fenced-in backyard, that won't be necessary though. Consider where you will be living also. If it is an apartment with people living all around you, you don't want to get a small (or large) yappy dog that will bark all the time at the slightest noise when you aren't at home to stop it. Neighbors don't like yappy or howling dogs.

My advice would be to look up any dog that you are considering, on the computer. Check out it's personality traits & what it was originally bred for. Make sure it will be suited to your living conditions & your husbands personality. With him being afraid of dogs, the best thing you can do is have him & the dog or puppy enroll in a dog obedience training class. The dog will be happier learning what is expected of him & your hubby will gain the confidence he needs not to be fearful of the dog. He will learn how to be the master over the dog & not the other way around. The result will be a trusting & loving relationship between the two that will last them both a lifetime.

Personality ultimately wins over looks. The best looking dog in the world with a personality or trait that you don't like does not make a very good companion. Far more precious is the well trained dog that has the personality that binds you to him for life. Speaking of which......your mother-in-law does not want to babysit a dog that is not good looking?! You best keep your fingers crossed for her grand children some day then.

Since I'm involved in this post now, please keep me informed on what you are doing or thinking. I will be curious now as to what dog you will end up with & how it goes with all of you.
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2008 19:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
EditedEdited by Brengun
If you are going to be travelling by air I would suggest a light breed which won't cost you the earth to freight.
Just doing a quick search on google here is a popular species. Don't worry that the ears aren't cropped, nor the tail docked as many countries (including Australia) no longer allow it.
http://dogchampions.info/advert/en/front_puppysel_free_sr.php?lapar=1054
This is also an endearing little breed:
http://www.wellbredpets.com/superpuppy-4386-Bessy.html
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2008 02:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SUBEE376
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 3
female usa
A lab on the other hand seems to be the best choice you have mentioned so far. I think they are the most popular dog in the world & probably for good reason. Their personality seems to be fairly stable, as in loving & friendly. I read up on them too & their main vice seems to be chewing on things.

I absolutly love labs, I have owned one my whole life. These dogs require alot of attention. They can easily be trained (a very smart animal) but as pups are very demanding. They are hyper all the time and require lots of attention. English lab breeds are calmer, or so they say. I have yet to a calm lab.
their main vice seems to be chewing on things.

They can destroy a house,(chewing on everything) they are meant to be outside for most labs are retrievers and love the outdoors.

Again, I love them, they are my fav. but are usually not calm until around 2 years of age. They are very loyal to their owner and all in all they are a wonderful dog.
I'm not trying to deter you from this breed,(if you decide on this one) Just my input, but you need to be prepared for the puppy stage.
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2008 14:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies