Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCollege Acceptees/Discussion
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
Hey I was just wondering who has heard back from colleges yet or decided where they are going. College students feel free to chime in and share your vast wisdom.

I'm going to the University of Connecticut and planning on majoring in ecology and evolutionary biology. Speaking of that, does anybody here have any experience or information about that major/field?
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2008 23:27Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
The way that major works at my school is it's a concentration the main Bio major. All I have to say is, have fun with fieldwork, if you go that way.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2008 23:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
I'm doubling in integ. bio. So far, the classes have been reasonably easy, though I'm not exactly a big fan of pseudo-behavioral profiling that often comes with laboratory studies (you probably won't have to worry about such nuances if you're going evolutionary bio--but you'll be looking at a lot of bones. A lot.). Fieldwork is excellent.
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2008 01:58Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
Hellooo,

I'm a second semester freshman at uconn right now actually. I dont know what courses are required for that major in particular, but I can let you know that the science classes are all huge lectures and unless you have a serious knack for science, they can be very difficult and are very time consuming, so just be sure that you will put the effort in. I always got A's and B's in honors science courses in high school and i've been struggling along in chemistry all year.

If you're science oriented you should be okay. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any more questions about the university.

-Liana

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2008 20:53Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
I work full-time, but I'll be enrolling in a weekend course at Seneca College for the A+ exam prep course, then hoping to pass the compTIA exam, then I'd be a microsoft certified computer tech I work in tech support but it'd be good to learn things that will help me be more proficient, as well as have a 'paper' that can lead to promotion or open other doors possibly. It's been 6 yrs since in any courses so a little nervous.

Every sat from may to end of september 9am-4pm, except long weekends. After a full work week that'll suck as well as losing my summer weekends but a guys gotta try to get ahead in life somehow ? If I pass I'll sign up for another one in the fall.

Good luck in your courses all

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2008 21:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
male usa
Yes I'm especially looking forward to the field work. There seem to be some great job opportunities out there for this field.

Hey Liana. If I have any questions about UConn I'll send you a pm. May I ask what you're majoring in? If you know, that is.
Post InfoPosted 06-Apr-2008 05:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
I was accepted as a marine bio major, decided there wasn't much of a future for me in that just due to personal reasons, eg: the kind of environment/setting i wanted to be in, so then I changed my major to PT, buttt it's way too science oriented and i'm not really enjoying it or capable of maintaining a decent GPA with all of those core science courses, so right now I'm being sort of exploratory, and i'm pretty much set on communication disorders/speech pathology, so hopefully that's what I end up with. :-) I don't check FP too often anymore, so if you have any questions you're better off emailing me, i'll PM you my address. Best of luck!

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 04:51Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
male usa
Organic chem eats little kids and their puppies for sport and leisure.
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 09:30Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
No, you're thinking of P-chem. Organic chemistry is like a nice grandmother who bakes you really awesome cookies.

Sigh...Grignard reagents...
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 15:20Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
male usa
What are you smoking :[

P-chem is all math, which means less speculative "even though this doesn't happen irl, lets use it as an example to showcase intramolecular reaction mechanisms anyways. Also, let's make carbonyl chemistry trite and taxing for everybody ever". That's what the professors are thinking. It's in their o chem teaching guide. I saw it.

P.S.: I'm a spy.

Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 22:19Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
male usa
...sappin your sentry.
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2008 22:19Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
male usa
You could never sap my sentry. I always have my wrench handy for situations like that.
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2008 07:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies