SubscribeCollege Animal Restrictions?
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
EditedEdited by ethan14
So I'll probably be leaving for a state university next year and living in the dorms there. So I was wondering if someone could give me a general overview of what the restrictions on pets are in dorms or where I might be able to find them for specific colleges, as I have had no luck so far. I know that I won't be able to have dogs and cats but what about reptiles, fish, etc.
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 03:46Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Completely and totally depends on the institution. Best thing you can do is email Residence Life at the universities you are looking at and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

At my school, we're allowed one tank 20 gallons or smaller, with fish or non-venomous reptiles.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 04:19Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Yep, will depend on the school

I think we were allowed 10 gallon tanks at my state U. My sister is attending a private arts school in DC and they had housing in a local apartment building where they werent even allowed plants.
This year she's got her own apartment with a no pets rule, she currently has my old fishtank and a chinchuilla....

^_^

Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 04:46Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
when i went in for my freshman year they said "if it can't hold its breath underwater for more than 2 days then you can't keep it". i think tanks had to be less than 30g but i don't remember that part...

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2007 06:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Can fish actually hold their breath that long?

Did they actually test it on the animals moondog, cause that's pretty mean if they did!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 07-Aug-2007 00:03Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
tiny_clanger
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 571
Votes: 12
female uk
There was never an answer one way or the other about tanks at my uni. However, I rented a house in my 2nd and 3rd years with a group of friends, and I kept my fish there. Landlords tend to be much more flexible than uni authorities.

-------------------------------------------------
I like to think that whoever designed marine life was thinking of it as basically an entertainment medium. That would explain some of the things down there, some of the unearthly biological contraptions
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2007 15:04Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
My school (University of Delaware) lets a tank of up to 20 gallons for fish. However, that's not to say people don't keep lizards, snakes, or other things in tanks. I had Triops for a short time, not that keeping Triops would even matter to most people. Two people I know actually have had cats in their rooms, though, despite not being allowed...

Each college should have residence life or housing guidelines and restrictions and such. It shouldn't be too hard to find...

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2007 06:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
My school (UConn) has the same 20 gallon rule as far as i know, but we're only allowed fish, no reptiles or anything.

Don't even consider that in your decision b/c ultimately you probably won't even want a pet in your dorm... takes up too much space that you don't have, and too much time that you don't have.

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2007 15:25Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
i'll be in the same boat as you are next year.(fall 08)

One of the schools i looked at said none at all, and another said 10 gallon.

The thing is if i go to orlando(i currently live in NY) I plan to live off campus after my first year so hopefully i will find somewhere that i can bring at least 2 tanks with me. (two 20 high)

Anyway. i hope that you will find good luck with your situation.
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2007 01:44Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
The college Im attending this fall has a no pet rule. Not that I would want to. Most dorms are tiny

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2007 22:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I don't think there was a rule in my sister's dorms because it didn't matter. You couldn't fit anything anyway. By the time they crammed 2 loft beds and their stuff underneath it you couldn't open the door all the way. She also had to ask the person on the other bed to open the window because there was nowhere to put the 2nd bed except right across the window. Reason she opted to get an apartment and split it between 3 people by the next semester. I just decided to live at home. My 11'x11' room was larger than the rooms they were putting 2 people in. Your better off getting an apartment or waiting until your done with college.
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2007 23:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
Also your schedule could be really crazy depending on your classes, if you work, and your social life. Taking care of an animal maybe one responsibility too many.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 01:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
eat_ham222
-----
Banned
Kudos: 72
Votes: 16
male usa
i'd hide likle 80 fish tanks
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2007 23:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 1
male usa
EditedEdited by maddeningdream
At VT it has to be under 5 gallons.

Est solarus uth mithas,My honor is my life
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
inkodinkomalinko
---------------
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 833
male usa
I snuck in a 20 gallon and a 5.5 gallon to school even though the limit was one 10 gallon tank per room. They had two maintenance searches each year that tells you to remove all illegal substances, alcohol bottles, etc, and they didn't mind the fish tanks. My RA's found out and they really didn't care.
Post InfoPosted 04-Sep-2007 02:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies