sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Is anyone going to have a cool class or two on their schedule for fall? I'm a freshmeat, so I got nothing. Chem, English, Math, Philosophy and an environmental thing that all 2,300 freshmen attend at the same exact time every week, same place. I wanted Ichthyology or Marine biology, but of course they're for juniors and up, maybe sophs.

At least I already have a few credits, so some of the prereqs are out of the way. Got a five on the AP Govt. test, and I tested out of Precalc 1 despite my hatred of math. They gave me credit for that, so it looks like only three semesters of math for me. But they said my Dual-Enrollment Bio from last year might have to be retaken, even though they're giving me credit for the course. I'll deal with that next year.

What all do you other college folks have?

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 18:50Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Well I won't have anything interesting to anyone else, but if I get into nursing school I'll have pharmacology and nursing basic classes, which are interesting to me.

I'm looking forward to it...so hopefully I'll get in this time. If not, then I'll work for a semester...money for fishies!!

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 19:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sideburns Dave
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 105
Votes: 21
male canada
I'll have Electrical FUNdamentals... I've already take Electronics fundamentals I wonder if it will be similar...
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 06:20Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

I haven't gotten my class schedule yet, but I am sure it's just going to be the typical general education type classes.

You don't get into the really good stuff until you're like a junior.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 07:45Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mattyboombatty

---------------
---------------
-----
Tenellus Obsessor
Kudos: 1507
Votes: 1301
male usa us-northcarolina
I got genetics, forest ecology, conservation biogeography, global environmental science, and soft rock(not music, a geology course). It should be a fun semester.

Critical Fertilator: The Micromanager of Macronutrients
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 16:06Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Tiamet2B
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 10
female usa
I'll be taking Oceanography, Calculus, and Philosophy of Social Welfare. The oceanography is going to be amazing I'm also getting credits for researching with a marine biologist on aquatic sponges.

Sirbooks, I can't even imagine being in a class with 2,300 people! I go to a private university, so there are only 2,600 students total.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2006 22:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
sirbrooks,

You wouldn't happen to be thinking of joining my Corps, would you? We've got some great programs starting freshman year, including the one I commissioned through.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jul-2006 05:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
"The oceanography is going to be amazing I'm also getting credits for researching with a marine biologist on aquatic sponges."

You make me jealous. I want to do something like that later on.

"You wouldn't happen to be thinking of joining my Corps, would you? We've got some great programs starting freshman year, including the one I commissioned through."

I really did, especially because my stepfather was a Marine for 20+ years. But because of a physical technicality, I guess I'm not fit for duty. Maybe the Air Force or something would let me in, but the Corps was the first and only choice. They're just strict, I've even heard that they won't let people with flat feet in...

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 14-Jul-2006 14:16Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
male usa
We are pretty strict in the Marines, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. We give waivers for a lot of things when people have the motivation to as. If you're still interested, contact the Marine Officer Instructor at the NROTC detachment (if you have a detachment at your school), or the local Officer Selection Office.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jul-2006 15:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
iltat
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1216
Votes: 0
male usa
I've got Physics II and Poli Sci II this semester. Nothing too interesting.

PM/email/msg me if you have any questions/comments regarding me or my knowledge or if you want me to read a thread.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2006 00:56Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
african_man
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 139
Votes: 2
male australia
when i was at uni (graduated B.E. Civil 2005) i took 2 realy cool electives

one was "black holes and the origin of the universe"

i learnt about blackholes, realtivity, darkmatter and all sorts of cool space stuff. got to read stephen hawkings "a breif history of time" it was realy cool!

and i got out of doing a class by joining the RMIT choir!
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2006 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
synodontis
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 2000
Votes: 1099
male newzealand
I've got: Planet Earth (intro to geology), global environmental change, and statistics. Since stats and Planet Earth are really easy, its going to be an easy and laid back start to collage/uni. 2nd semester is going to make up for that however becasue that's when all of my hard classes are.

--------------------------
Billy was a scientist, Billy is no more. For what he thought was H20, was H2SO4
Post InfoPosted 15-Jul-2006 05:36Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Tiamet2B
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 10
female usa
Sirbooks, if you are going to major in a science, try to find a professor to research with during your first year of college. It's a huge resume builder to already have your name on a couple published papers before you graduate. It's a lot of fun too!
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2006 02:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
JQW
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 758
male australia
Well mine subjects are just another collection of nerdy science stuff.
This year, for the whole darn year, I've got

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths

Hopefully it will be better next year.
Looking forward to 6 hour microbiology prac

Good luck with college and uni guys and gurls!!!
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2006 10:52Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
tiny_clanger
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 571
female uk
Don't you choose? How can your uni applications be done if you can't choose what you want to study?

-------------------------------------------------
I like to think that whoever designed marine life was thinking of it as basically an entertainment medium. That would explain some of the things down there, some of the unearthly biological contraptions
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2006 21:46Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
JQW
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 758
male australia
Um...talking about me?
My course is bit tight, so to say.
I choosed what course I wanted to do, but all the subjects in that course are fixed.
So everyone has to do exactly the same thing, at least for the first couple of years, we have about 120 students only due to high entry score.
It's Bachelor of Biomedical Science.
Second year we get two electives and majors, but all has to be from the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.
I'm gonna to choose Medical Microbiology, which is also fairly fixed in terms of subjects sellection.
How does 96hours of practical work for one subject in one semester sound Imagine four subjects.

Isn't Ichthyology the study of fish? That's way cool!!!
Be prepared for the questions we're gonna to throw at you Sirbooks.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2006 01:39Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
I'm taking Microbiology this summer...cool class. I like the lab the best. This is my second time taking it...made a "C" last semester so I'm trying to replace that with atleast a "B" to get my grade point average up.

Good luck!

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2006 19:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
Microbiology was my FAVORITE class "back in the day". I loved Micro lab. It was fantastic, but it did make you think about a lot. Germs everywhere!!

What I wouldn't give to have it do over again. I messed college up really big. Oh well, 75 hours ain't bad.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2006 20:09Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
female usa
It was fantastic, but it did make you think about a lot. Germs everywhere!!

Oh yes...I'm very cautious now about touching things. These things are so tiny but some can do some damage! I love culturing things and seeing what grows and doing all the biochemical tests. I should be a pro by now, since its my second time around. It will be over soon though and I won't have any more labs left..kind of sad. I actually enjoy this one (can't say the same for chemistry though).

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2006 21:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
just beginning

---------------
----------
Literature Nerd
Kudos: 1380
Votes: 198
female australia au-queensland
EditedEdited by just beginning
Wow...all so very different from my uni subjects. I'm glad I was an arts student! My first first year at uni, I think I did things like Contemporary Australian Literature, Process Drama, Film, TV and Culture, some sort of media studies subject, some sort of poetry subject, and, just for the heck of it, Introduction to Psychology (I had a lot of electives, psychology interests me a lot and I figured it would be good to know for characterisation, in fact I ended up taking about four or five psychology subjects as electives throughout my degree). Then, in my other first year (I changed unis and degrees after a year, had to start from scratch), I took Media Production (a film-making subject, never quite understood why it was a course requirement for a creative writing degree, but it sure was a lot of fun), scriptwriting, Microfiction, Short Story Writing, and probably a few requierd core creative industries subjects that I don't remember. The degree did get pretty intensive in second and third years and much more focused, but I was still able to get some electives that allowed me to dip my toes in all over the place - photography, French language, psychopharmocology. Lots of fun .

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2006 02:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies