SubscribeI need to vent!
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
Ok so I am entering my sophmore year at high school this fall and am pretty excited because I am gonna be at a completely new school that is 4 stories and alot of my best friends are gonna be there. So I was browsing the school website and came across the school calender. I was looking at it and came across "Winter Break"....or so they call it. We get out Christmas Eve!!! I mean my god, why dont we all just go to school on Christmas it wouldnt make that much difference! It totally sucks! What about the people who are going on vacation? They are either going to have to rearrange their travel plans or have to make up lots of work. We are usually out by the 18th or 19th. This means barely any time to spend with family, and they will most likely give us like a 9 page paper to write on the importance of strong family bonds when they are just taking our family away. Ugh!!!

Christmas used to be such a great time of year. We would go get our christmas trees from a little farm in the mountains, our house would be sooo decorated (we still do those)our family would come and all my cousins and me would go look at all our gifts and guess what they were. But now it is soo rushed we have no time for that! No more traditions or fun.

We used to get 2 weeks of break at Christmas time! Now a measly 6 days! C'mon what is that.

Well sorry I went on and on. Just had to vent.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2007 10:02Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
Just wait till you finish school and get a job.
I can't believe how much I sounded like my dad just then.
sigh
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2007 13:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
You can bet that the teachers aren't too pleased either. I'd bet most of them have kids and probably not much time to get the shopping done. They'll be frazzled!

I don't mean to make it sound overly simplistic, but why not just take a few days off leading up to it if it means that much to you and your family? I should imagine that you wouldn't be alone in that course of action.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2007 13:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Yeah, my college is kinda that way: we get no time off for Easter. Not even a day so that people can go home. Our spring break actually revolves around St. Patrick's Day solely because our college president is an alcoholic (no lie).

I also want to say that the punching smiley is just about the best thing I've ever seen.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2007 15:00Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
I feel your pain. All through school we always got out on the 24th even if it fell on a Friday or Monday. We atleast had a half day. We also returned on the 2nd of January. No worries just skip

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2007 17:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
Just remember, these are th easiest days of your life. It gets harder.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2007 18:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
Christmas used to be such a great time of year. We would go get our christmas trees from a little farm in the mountains, our house would be sooo decorated (we still do those)our family would come and all my cousins and me would go look at all our gifts and guess what they were. But now it is soo rushed we have no time for that! No more traditions or fun.

My last day before break was usually the 23rd. Sure we had less time than someone who got out the 18th or 19th, but we made it work and always time for fun and traditions. Christmas (and anything else for that matter) will only be ruined if you let these changes get to you. Like the other posters have said, life only gets harder after this

We used to get 2 weeks of break at Christmas time! Now a measly 6 days! C'mon what is that.

When do you go back? Our breaks were usually from the the 24th to the 2nd and were never that short. Are you counting weekends?

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2007 19:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
EditedEdited by Kitten
When you say you get out on Christmas Eve, do you mean you're actually going to school on that Monday, or that the Monday is the first day of your break? If it's the first day of the break, that's pretty normal. Winter break almost always starts the beginning of the week of Christmas and goes through to the 2nd of January.

The reason it's so short this year is because of the day of the week Christmas lands on. It's a Tuesday this year (and Christmas Eve on a Monday), so you don't get any bonus days leading up to the holiday, as you would if Christmas were on, say, a Friday. If Christmas were on a Friday or Saturday, then you would start break on the Monday, most likely, and that's why break would be longer.

Gotta agree with Dangerous Dave on this one... wait until you work... you don't get any automatic time off beyond the holiday itself (and not even that if you're in a retail job or positions in nursing homes or hospitals). Trust me, there are days where I really really wish I were still in school just so I could have all the holidays back!

Of course, when I was in college, I was appalled when we didn't get days off like Labor Day or Memorial Day. Hello? These are legal holidays! Honestly, the post office is shut down, the government takes a holiday... what's with that?!

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2007 14:36Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Racso
---------------
----------
Mega Fish
Some Assembly Required
Kudos: 1442
Votes: 35
male usa us-ohio
I agree with Kitten. If your saying that the "break" begins on the 24, as in you don't go to school on the 24, then thats normal. You have Saturday and Sunday off anyway.

Now if your are saying that your first day OUT is the 25 (and you are in on the 24), then that is odd on two accounts. First, too many people will travel by then and just skip, and second, its bad to only have school for just one day.

And as it has been said, just wait until you get a job. You know that thing called Summer Break? You know, those three or four months in a row where you do nothing all day? Yeah, they dissapear when you get a job. Many jobs average three or four WEEKS of off time.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jul-2007 22:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
Yea punk, if you think this is a drag, wait until you get a job, lol.... It's more of the same!

Try not to let it get you down, man!
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2007 03:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
denver

---------------
Mega Fish
Mile High....
Kudos: 205
Votes: 110
female australia us-colorado
heck, the only guaranteed days off where I work is thanksgiving, christmas day and easter sunday.

the rest of the 'holidays' ? nope. sorry.

course, I work retail.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2007 05:09Profile Homepage ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
rjmcbean
----------
Hobbyist
Like a Farmer
Kudos: 75
Votes: 415
female usa
I am not gauranteed ANY Holiday's off!! (Law Enforcement doesn't stop b/c of celebrations)... if anything, the Holiday's are our busiest time.

Be happy you can at least PLAN for some time off. I just have to take it when I can get it!

"it's the neck, it creaks under the weight of too much heavy thinking."
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2007 08:07Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Racso
---------------
----------
Mega Fish
Some Assembly Required
Kudos: 1442
Votes: 35
male usa us-ohio
Oh, retail... my memories...

When did presidents day become a day of sales rather than celebration...???
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2007 15:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
When did presidents day become a day of sales rather than celebration...???

When George Washington decided it would be cheaper if he and Thomas Jefferson (who had the same friends) just had one large birthday party instead of the two smaller ones. At the time Henry Ford being the shrewd business man that he was decided that he would promote the party; therefore allowing him to dictate its location. Low and behold it was held in a location that could only be reached by car. Raise the base MRSP and add a 10% discount through in some collusion with Rowland Hussey Macy for Party supplies and bam you have a Presidents day weekend sale.

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2007 16:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
Personally, I don't think it makes much of a difference. Many people do not go home or travel for christmas break, especially in High School. In fact, many children simply stay at home and watch TV. ^^* Im not saying everyone does that, but I can honestly see where the school is coming from on this issue. I mean, most places outside of the US do not take 2 weeks off for "Winter Break" each year (actually the US gets the most days off) ^_^ If you travel for the holidays and need those days off, I don't think it should be counted against you though, because people DO travel, but I also think that education is very important

Inky
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2007 00:08Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies