aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
Kudos: 55
Votes: 159
male usa
This is Ollie my Dog

She is 1.5 year old rescue dog from Arkansas. We are not sure what kind of dog she is. Our best guess given the way she looks and acts is some kind of Sheperd/Beagle/Spaniel (Maybe Australian) her ears get all perked up also she does the Scooby Doo leg curl before she starts to follow a scent which she does constantly well outside. Rotti is also a possibility given her coat but she is already full grown at 33lbs. So again we really have no idea but she is the sweetest dog that you will every meet

Attached Image:

"No whammy, No whammy, No whammy, STOP!!"

1984-Michael Larsen On Press Your Luck
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2007 15:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
shadowtheblacklab
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 0
female usa
]

She is so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Yup. I'm that crazy Twilight/animal/music girl
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2007 16:04Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Nice looking dog!

My guess would be 1/2 Rotti & 1/2 smaller dog.
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2007 17:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by Not Joe Potato
I'm with Patty. Definitely has a fair bit of Rottie in her. Her snout seems longer than a normal Rottweiler, so you might be right with the shepherd idea.

Not Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2007 18:55Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Maybe the color comes from something else. There are plenty of black and tan breeds out there. Maybe Manchester terrier...

><>
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2007 08:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
Hi,

Mixed dogs are so much fun!

Definately has strong rotti blood in her, Id recognize that body structure and hair anywhere. Due to her background I recommend setting very defined limits for this dog and making sure she listens and responds properly to commands. This is very important in dogs of such caliber, since you really dont want a ramptious rottie type dog creating havoc in your house and neighborhood. A firm tone in your voice will suffice to make her respond to your commands so she knows you are the one in control. Also make sure they are socialized with kids and other small pets before leaving her unsupervised. Although these dogs are kind to the utmost, they have a very strong instinct of predation, specially of leser animals.

Nontheless, rotts are great family dogs and are very smart, I m sure she will provide you with loving company for a good amount of years.

All the best,

James
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2007 18:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I don't see any shepherd. I don't see much rott either if we ignore the color. Maybe the ears but otherwise her structure looks too light, too long legged, and definitely too thin in the face. The color and maybe the ears are the only potential rotti I see. I'd actually lean toward doberman for the coat and color. Same colors, longer muzzle than a rott, smaller size including lighter build, and without an ear crop they actually have rather floppy ears. http://www.dog-breed-facts.com/images/doberman.jpg

There's actually a DNA test out there that can check for percentages of common breeds for people who really wonder what their mix is. Don't know what it costs though but it would be interesting. I thought about seeing if my mom wanted to do it for her mix. He definitely looks rott but his face looks kinda lab and he has a fluffy double coat like a shepherd. We've argued over what mix he might be since we got him 10years ago. A handling judge actually said purebred burmese mountain dog.
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2007 23:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
male usa
So this weekend has been an interesting as Ollie has picked up a new habit. She seems to think that my girlfriend is a chew toy and will nip at her when she comes home also when she is sitting on the coach she will come up and bite her. Not hard enough to break the skin but hard enough none the less. Its not an angry bite it’s a I wont to play because. Has any had experience with this type of behavior? We wont be able to start her in obedience school until September. They are in the middle of a session. We took her to the vet and she had know idea what type of dog she is but she is healthy. The doggy DNA test seem interesting I just don’t know how to justify the cost maybe some day.

Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2007 22:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
viciouschiapet
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 77
Votes: 15
female usa
EditedEdited by viciouschiapet
Hi! grats on the new doggie! She's adorable! My dog came from a shelter and he used to have issues with biting too. What matters the most I think, is how and when the dog is doing it. Does your girlfriend live with you? I personally don't think it matters all that much if you don't know the exact breed. As Cesar Milan always points out, she is a Dog before she is any specific breed. They all have certain needs and behaviors in common and people make too big of a deal out of breed. She's a rescue, so you're not sure how she was raised i'm assuming. It may be her invitation to play for all we know. Does she do it in a threatening manner? Friendly? What does she do before and after the soft bite? Sorry i'm asking these questions because I think you tried to answer them but I had a hard time reading your post. I think there were typos or something or problems with my computer reading it because once in a while there were just strange symbols instead of letters!

As for the color... that could come from rottweiler, doberman, dachshund, miniature pinscher/manchester... even some chihuahuas have that color. What matters more is how the dog acts as far as behavior. I'd look up any of the kinds you think she may be and read up on basic behavior. She is a mix after all, so she could act like any mix of all of these breeds! In the meantime since training classes are not in session yet, I'd highly recommend reading your own books on dogs. Training or fixing bad behavior kinds of books seem to all have very similar information in my opinion. To get two separate views on how to treat dogs, two books i'd really recommend are Cesar's Way by Cesar Milan, or The Hidden Life of Dogs by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas. The reason I say read up on it now, is that it will give you a better grasp of what is going on in basic obedience, but also teach you to better communicate with your dog. It is important to have the right rules from the beginning, because changing the rules later on is harder on the dog. Sometimes dogs that start out friendly end up developing issues later on unintentionally because of how the people treat them. Better to set things straight from the start.

By the way, that weight doesn't rule out that she has rotti in her. I did meet a Chihuahua/German Shepherd...I can't remember which one was the mother and father, but either way the idea still cracks me up. He REALLY looked like the mix.. almost a german shepherd that was Chihuahua sized and slightly more chihuahua shaped head. He was smaller than my Lhasa Apso/Poodle that's only 15 lbs. Probably wouldn't expect that out of a dog that is half German Shepherd, but hey... it can happen.

The pottery that growls!
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2007 23:29Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Mouthing is a puppy behavior that she should grow out of before too long. Our golden retriever nipped a lot as a puppy, maybe a bit harder than Ollie does. About the best thing I can think of that you can do for now is have your girlfriend tell the dog no, put her hands in her pockets, and look away from the dog.

><>
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2007 23:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
EditedEdited by sham
You need to work on bite inhibition. Especially a problem with dogs who were not left with their littermates long enough or who were only pups. They learn through play when they are being too rough by the other pups yelping and refusing to play with them. Same thing works for people but it sometimes takes a little longer than if they'd picked it up from other pups.
http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/bite.txt
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BiteInhibition.php

I absolutely completely hate Cesar Milar and his dominance of all dogs. And that is all the further I'm willing to discuss that subject. Go look up some books by Patricia B. McConnell.
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 00:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
aaronfry
----------
Hobbyist
?
male usa
After doing some more research we are leaning towards Hovawart Linky as the dominate breed not that it matters. She seems to have all the traits including the draw backs. I do live with my girlfriend so one train of thought that we had was that Ollie was trying to show dominance. When ever she jumps up we turn around and the non jumped on will walk away. The soft bites are always in a playful manner. Ollie has only growled once well with me at that was at a very large Doberman who she clear found to be a threat to us.

We did start to read up on breeds before and we had settled on some combination of Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler, Shetland Sheep or Border Collie but as luck would have we met Ollie at a puppy adoption day and absolutely fell in love. Good articles sham. Obedience classes start on the 22nd. We have to go to the local Petsmart be we did lots of positive feed back from different customers about the trainer so well see. I checked out our library and the have “How to be the leader of the pack” so I think will check that out. Has anyone see the BBC show with the lady who drives the MG and saves the day. Its in the same vein as the Cesar Milan show?

Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 16:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Generally mixes in shelters do not come from really odd breeds like that. Maybe in germany but I doubt the hovawart population in the US is very large. Especially since you can count the number of breeders in the US on one hand and only one of them is on the east coast.

The other dog training show on tv is done by Victoria Stilwell. Not nearly as controversial as Milar and I haven't really heard much about it. The thing to remember with all those shows is that they are extreme circumstances and trying to get the fastest results possible. Most of the methods used are not something the average dog owner should pick up and try by themselves. At best it will give you a stressed dog with emotional issues and at worst it could get either of you seriously injured. Such things are best left to professionals working on last chance cases.

If you want to learn how to work with your dog on a daily basis try obedience classes and reading up on positive dog training instead of picking up gimmicks and methods off a tv show that's just trying to get the highest ratings possible. You might also want to look into clicker training although it doesn't interest me but alot of people find it to be a very positive and fun way to work with their dogs.
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2007 18:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies