SubscribePlan for Cyber-Safety
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Just heard about this. Australian FPilians, what's the deal? Please tell me it's not as absurd as it looks on face-value.
Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2008 21:02Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Errrr

Um.

We got a CD in the mail last year.

There were commercials a while ago.

I thought it'd had died. Course we were out buying a new sofa the other weekend and they had discs at the counter for people to take.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2008 23:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
It is actually happening.

I don't get it. I don't see what they hope to achieve. It'll take one person to post a work-around and it'll be everywhere online, and then another, and then another, and are they going to throw another huge amount of money at it to plug the leaks? And there WILL be leaks, nobody is going to stand for this crap (and I'm saying that with as much confidence as I can muster because I reckon most people will not notice/care/be savvy enough to work around it *sigh*).

Maybe they'll let us play with the grown-up internet when we are good citizens... I cannot tell you how much I resent the implication that I cannot decide what I can look at. It is thoroughly distasteful.

They aren't making a big deal about the implications of this. We don't know what it will block, if you can override the block, and what you can do to whitelist mismarked sites etc. Apparently we don't even get to know what is blocked. This goes to ALL homes, regardless of whether they have kids or not, so this household of two adults is going to have censored net.
We have slow/expensive enough net as it is, this is NOT going to help.

What with everything else going on, it isn't getting much airplay around here. It feels like they are sneaking it in. Maybe nobody really cares. It worries me.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2008 18:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
oh hey I didn't realize I moved to north korea!

I thought it was just a cd that parents could install for their kids cause they expect someone else to raise them.

good grief!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 00:48Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
I think there are two, there's the CD one that the 11yo bypassed in under 40 mins (seriously, what did they think was going to happen?) and the one that requires the ISPs to filter content. I think it was to be managed by the AFP, though that could have been last year's brainwave.

http://nocleanfeed.com/
http://www.efa.org.au/Issues/Censor/censhistory.html

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 05:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
I didn't realize that Aus was ruled by a fascist dictator?! That's kinda scary!

It's not surprising that the AFP are behind it

Wait, I wasn't supposed to say that outside of the premie forum... oops... but still!!!

Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 06:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
It's not surprising that the AFP are behind it

I was hoping I wasn't the only one who caught that...

The whole thing just sounds ridiculous and completely impractical.
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 06:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
male usa
Indeed, Spuddy.

Is that thread still alive in the premie forum, btw?
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 07:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
I wondered if anyone would pick up on that.

Don't think it is still alive, we are showing piccies these days

Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 07:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
male usa
I couldn't help myself... I had to do the trail 2 day premieship to see if it still existed...

IIRC it was two threads, though... the first of which was closed due to server load, methinks. I found one of 'em, at least

We're all psychotic
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 07:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Updates:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24568137-2862,00.html

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/communications/soa/ISP-level-content-filtering-won-t-work/0,139023754,339292158,00.htm

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24578818-952,00.html

Post InfoPosted 01-Nov-2008 11:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
Should be by choise to install this. But in this day and age, people think they have the right to make your decision for you.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2008 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
seems to me that its a mechanism to limit/control access to information to fellow citizens on the other side of the country or anywhere else around the world under the ploy of protecting families of " harmful content"... the only harmful content is the staggering amount of disinformation all round the world involving things as old as ancient Egyptian civilization all the way up to the current televised " war in Iraq" shoved in our faces daily by the main-stream media....convieniently controlled-regulated by a Federal agency
History has proven many things,one of which, there is always someone that thinks that THEY have to be in control of everything... here's one for ya all, who has read the book, A Tale of Two Nations ??? read it and you'll understand alot more...
As J.D. Rockefeller once stated " Give me control of a nations money, I care not who makes it's laws "
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2008 07:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies