Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeRecipe swap?
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Hi everyone, I had an idea for something fun and useful for everyone I just made the best Swedish meatballs (with mashed potatoes and gravy) I have ever had, and felt like I should share the recipe with the world! Does anyone else have any special recipes they feel like sharing?

I'll put it down exactly how I made it, but I'm sure some other methods would work too.

Swedish Meatballs:
1 lb ground chuck
2 Tb. butter
1/3 C. onion
1 egg
1/2 C. milk
1/2 C. fresh bread crumbs
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
dash 5-spice powder

Potatoes:
6 russet potatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. salt
2 Tb. margarine
1/2 C. milk

Gravy:
2 Tb. butter
flour
2 C. beef broth

Cook onions in non-stick skillet until golden. In food processor, combine breadcrumbs (or pulse some bread to make the breadcrumbs), milk, and egg. Pulse to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add all other ingredients except butter, and pulse to combine. Put bowl of food processor in freezer for a couple hours to firm up.

Peel potatoes and cut into 1" pieces. Peel garlic. Place potatoes and garlic in large saucepan and cover with water. Salt the water with about 1 tsp of salt. Put pan on med-high heat on stove, covered.

Heat 2 Tb. butter in 12" cast iron skillet on med-high heat just until butter starts to bubble. Ensure pan is coated with butter. Use a spring-loaded scoop to drop balls of meat mixture into pan, starting from the outside edges. As meatballs brown, use a spoon to flip them and move them around in the pan (the center will be hotter) until all meatballs are brown on several sides.

Meanwhile, melt 2 Tb. butter in pan. Add flour (about 2 1/2 - 3 Tb.) to the butter, and whisk to combine. Cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until light brown in color and nutty-smelling. Add beef broth and whisk vigorously to combine. Heat a couple minutes, until thickened.

When potatoes stuck with a knife fall off the knife, remove from heat. Strain out water. Add margarine and milk. Mash.

Serves about 5.

You may want to serve this with a nice vegetable of some sort to make it seem healthier. Enjoy! I hope someone else has some recipes they've really enjoyed to share!

><>
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2011 22:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Good idea, except I never write my recipes down, just mix stuff together until it works .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2011 23:40Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I modified a recipe I had in a cookbook. The amount of flour in the gravy is a pretty rough estimate!

><>
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2011 23:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies