SubscribeTwo New Snakes - Venomous
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Snake men are hard to get in some areas, and unless you get a good one they can be hours before they arrive. I even know one who won't take anything but blacks, and another who only removes non-venomous. Kind of a hit and miss profession. Most times the snakes are only an issue in rural/semirural areas, and even then only if they are in an area where they can't be avoided and are a threat to humans or livestock (house yard, stable, feed shed). Often it is just a matter of "there's a snake in the shed, just watch yourself" until it clears off. If they commit suicide, it is generally because other options aren't readily available or there is an immediate threat (and that isn't in the sense of the snake attacking, more that it is in an area where someone is likely to step on it or get it cranky and get bitten, and if you are an hour or so from hospital or are dealing with small mammals, that isn't something that can always be risked)

We aren't all just running around wanting to assist slithery snakes with death wishes. We just like to know where the shovel is, just in case

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2007 03:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
desertfish
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 7
Votes: 6
male usa
Man, where I live it ain't that hard to get rid of a snake. You just call Chihuahuan Desert Wildlife Rescue, they take care of all sorts of critters.
Post InfoPosted 24-Dec-2007 09:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Matt
---------------
Fishoholic
Kudos: 12
uk
EditedEdited by Matt
That's a familiar skirt/sweater combo, James.
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2007 19:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
I really love the whippy grass and tree snakes. They seem to fly from one branch to another. The birds go crazy if the snake comes out in the daylight, so its best if they move about in twilight or at night.

For venomous snakes, our vet is closer than the hospital. The dogs can just barely make it if bitten but I don't know if a human could make it to the hospital as its over 1/2 hour away and the brown snake venom will paralize the breathing and heart before you can get there.

I just wish all nasty snakes would stay on their own side of the fence. We do have a wildlife person in our area but they do not cater to snakes. I have asked them.

Having said that, not all venomous snakes are nasty.
I handled a rare Bandybandi snake once and it had the most lovely disposition. It was black and white banded all over and was quite happy to be handled before I set it free and on its way. Yes, I found information later on how venemous they really are.
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2007 04:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies