SubscribeWhos good at plants?
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Well, never thought i'd have to say this!
Basically, all my gecks have live plants in their enclosure. they usually all die, and i replace them just before they go brown...this time, they're all thriving, and growing out of the tank...do i literally just cut them off and expect them to regrow? the only plant i know i have is a Birds Nest Fern, the others can be seen in these photos...
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t72/james_meehan/pulchplants005.jpg

That thing on the left is especially growing very fast..
Any help appreciated.
James
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2007 02:51Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Most plants can have their larger leaves trimmed off.
Don't know that plant in particular but some like peace lillies can be unplanted and divided with each individual plant able to be replanted (or sold back to the pet store)

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2007 09:54Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
so i just cut the leaves? i could see how it would work wirh something like pothos, but not these? the leaves on the birds nest sort of "uncurl" themselves similar to ferns.
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 04:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
or the ones that grow like a birds nest, you can slice off the outer leaves. Leave the inner ones or it'll look pretty daggy when they grow up.

For the pokey up one in the corner, that looks like you could just lop a stem or two off. Those I *think* are one leaf per stem, so if you chop it, thats that. It would be best to leave at least one leaf.

That yellowy/pink thing looks like it might be a bromilliad, so look for smaller plants that you can separate off. I don't think they generally get pruned as such, but I think you should be safe taking off the outer leaves if you need to.

And I am not really particulrly good with plants, so unless you are a bit snip-happy, it might be good to wait

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 19:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
I bet your plants would love some of the discarded water from your fishtank.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2007 19:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
how sad will this sound
i dont keep fish anymore! haha..
Definatly not a bromaliad, too colourful and has no inner thing. someone said it might be related to the mother in laws tongue plant.
Thanks for the help.
james
Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2007 20:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I love all our technical plant terms. I mean we can talk fish taxonomy and anatomy til the cows come home, but when it comes to plants we get 'pokey up one' and 'inner thing'

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 20-Aug-2007 20:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
The spiky one on the left looks somewhat like what we had in the office that was called (from what I could figure out) a dwarf palm....

Uncurling leaves like ferns, couldnt you just trim back the older leaves in that case, letting the newer ones have a chance to establish themselves?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 00:56Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
The colorful yellow one looks like a croton to me. My mom has a couple of different ones.

><>
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2007 01:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
Hi,

Well from left to right this is what they seem to me:

Palmated one seems like a pacaya palm, if indeed so, you can just trim the whole stem close to the base, itll sprout new leaves from the root.

The second larger oval-leafed plant looks like an anturio and as recommended afore you can trim the outer older leaves and allow younger ones to uncurl in the middle.

The yellow twisty-leaved plant is a crotalus, if you snip the top itll fork in two and branch out from there. This plant is fairly easy to reproduce by cutting a clipping of the stem and burying it halfway into soft nutrient rich soil.

The one on the far right seems like a fern and you can trim it by removing the older leaves as far down the base as you can in order to allow new ones to sprout

Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2007 21:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies