Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWould you join this company?
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 311
Votes: 5
female india
Ah... the pleasures of living in a developing country with corrupt government officials

I was looking for a change, and an excellent offer with a vulgar amount of money came along from Dow Chemicals, who has taken over Union Carbide recently and acquired Carbide's Indian plant that was responsible for the worst industrial disaster in world history. More info below:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/29/india.bhopal.ap/index.html

So I was asked my biggest concern about DOW as a company, and I asked about their stand on the issue, they said, Union Carbide settled with the government, Dow did not own UC when the tragedy happened. Fair enough.

Now this article comes out and I do the math, UC paid compensation for the victims a total of 560,000 out of which 10,000 died. The total amount $470 million. How much per head - a paltry USD 839 that is not a lot even by Indian standards.

I have another equally good offer that will materialise in a few days and may pay a little less.

My question is, if you were me - an Indian, would you join Dow? Their stand doesnt seem very fair any more, it looks like UC paid off the government officials under the garb of a meagre compensation, both benefitted and till today, a lot of the victims have not received a penny.

I am caught between personal gain and patriotism
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 05:49Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
No different than living in an over developed country with corrupt government officials lol

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 06:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I don't think I would unless I was really really in need of a job. Not only did they dismiss it, saying that UC paid their compensation and that was that; from how it sounded in the article, they're even slowing down the cleanup of the site. Not good.

><>
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 08:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
female india
I did put in my papers with my present company and I already have signed the DOW offer letter, but the more I read about things, the more it doesnt seem to go down with my conscience.

Amnesty International says that DOW has to take responsibility for the continued contaminations, after all, DOW does own the Indian UC plant. How credited is Amnesty International as an organisation?
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 10:50Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Amnesty International, Is a very good organization. And They can be trusted.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 23:25Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
female usa
Yeah, Amnesty International is an organization I've heard of since high school (and especially in high school, when I knew more people who were more active about things Amnesty is involved in). Not completely unbiased (who is?), but very trustworthy.

><>
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 08:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
female india
Good to know, at least the source of my information is credited. Green Peace also has to say the same thing. Anyway, I am pretty much decided on not taking the offer up.

I really have to think of a way to turn it down now.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 13:15Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

ummm how about the truth?
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 18:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
female usa
Yeah, just tell them you're ethically uncomfortable working for their company.

><>
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 20:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LOW2000
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 8
Votes: 0
Its a different company, and a different time. Do you see people in the US not buying Mitsubishi cars because they used to make fighter planes in WWII that shot down US soldiers and helped in the attacks on Pearl Harbor?

I'd take the job, make a ton of money, and set up an awesome fish tank with the proceeds.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 22:13Profile Homepage ICQ AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
female usa
The problem is, they're now responsible for the cleanup at their plant...

><>
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 00:56Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
denver

---------------
Mega Fish
Mile High....
Kudos: 205
Votes: 110
female australia us-colorado
if you read the article, Union carbide sold their interest in the plant before DOW even showed interest in the company (pretty much selling the plant).

So when DOW chemicals bought UC, it wasn't even UC's plant at the time.

As for the credibility of Amnesty International and Greenpeace, I'd be looking for a different perspective of the entire thing that wasn't written by an advocacy group.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 02:02Profile Homepage ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
denver

---------------
Mega Fish
Mile High....
Kudos: 205
Votes: 110
female australia us-colorado
more information:

http://www.bhopal.com/chrono.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_Disaster

http://www.ou.edu/deptcomm/dodjcc/groups/02C2/Union%20Carbide.htm

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/02/india.bhopal.mark/index.html

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=23259

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 02:11Profile Homepage ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
well personally i would have a hard time working for dow, even though they aren't nearly the polluter they once were. but the fact is that they have done *some* things to ensure that they do minimal damage to the environment, which is way more than i can say for exxon/mobil. if you need the job i say take it, but if you have other offers i would go with one of those instead if it were me.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 10:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ClownyGirl
-----
Fish Addict
female india
Denver, that's exactly my problem, I am not aware enough about the issue to make a decision, though I have done extensive reading from advocacy groups, to checking the documentation (whatever is public) from DOW, UC, and the Indian Government, and what remains a fact is that even if they did sell the plant, the onus on cleaning the place up stayed with UC and was passed on to DOW under the Indian Law. DOW still has criminal cases that have not been dismissed in India for the clean up operation.

UC had approx 51% stake in the plant, and the Indian govt and private companies owned the rest of it. The Indian govt obviously has betrayed its own people, but that doesnt really make it easier for me to ignore the part UC played, they were responsible for the safety standards in the plant. What about the fact that the plant was instantly abandoned by UC and continues to pollute in environment, ok, so my government is full of scoundrels who are waiting for some foreigner to cough up money and initiate clean up, but does this make the foreign company a lesser criminal?

I do have another offer with a bank, so I am considering that very seriously, in fact, as of now, I am taking up the offer with the bank.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2007 06:27Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies