AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Off Topic
 L# The Recovery Room
  L# rats!!! (pictures have arived!! come see!)
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscriberats!!! (pictures have arived!! come see!)
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1951
Votes: 137
they cannot go into a cage right now, the bar spacing is too big as i mentioned earlier, the first time they got in to there was through the bars no problem.

the 20 gallon high is too small i decided, and i htought putting them into the 55 gallon after x-mas and after my brother leaves (he is in the room i am suppost to be moving into..its bigger and more rat proof)when they are bigger im going to attach tubing and run it into their cage, the fish tank will have nwspaper underneath a thin layor of the bedding, if i add any bedding at all (too expencive) i use carefresh or something like that but its safe.

oh, and what kinds of fruit isnt safe? can they have things like oranges?
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
got the 55 gallon all set up for them, now they spend a few hours in there playing and sleeping, but they are always happy to back home to the 20 gallon
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
i decided to add another inch of bedding, a few rocks to climb on, and im gunna rearange it so i can add another level or somthing to add to the space
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
yup im getting rats on the 19th!!

i already picked out 2 cages, and im going to petsmart on the 19th to finish getting supplies, and to get the ratties 1 cage will be for males, and the other for females, i guess im just gunna have to get over the whole...ya know part of the male rat but i just hear such good stuff about them, im gunna try a male this time, i did have 2 females before, but things happened... and now i am prepaired to open up my life to my newest snuggel ratties im also gettign a digi camera, so, pics on the day after x-mas lol

Last edited by Fallout at 28-Nov-2005 00:37

Last edited by fishyhelper288 at 21-Dec-2005 17:07
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
oo rat pics bring them on
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 412
Votes: 38
female uk
ha!

I pick up my two new Girls on Saturday.I haven't quite got over the boys and their er well you know. I am very excited. already set up the cage!! all new hammocks and an igloo. woo hoo!

I still really want a hamster(would be kept far away from the rats for obvious reasons). but will have to wait and see.(code for persuade my Dad)

GFG

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:31Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
lol, u suck i cant wait any long for my girls !

i just ordered the cage, water bottle, carrier, food dish, and bedding last night

the cage is very big, its this one: its the smaller one, because its only for 2 rats

i got this bedding : carefresh

this carrier: SO CUTE!!!!

this food dish: big food dish lol

this water bottle: not the best, but i was limited on money

and im gunna get this harness here

and possibly these syringes just in case

now i just need to get the food and some toys they day i get them
RustyBlade
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1667
Votes: 391
female australia
Don't spend too much money on toys for them, they have the most fun with things you find around the house like tissue boxes (mine like these most, they squeeze themselves into the boxes and have fun playing peek-a-boo) blankets they can crawl under and chase each other around, shoe boxes and anything else you can think of that would be fun and safe for them. Believe me I've spent a small fortune on store bought toys and they're all gathering dust because they prefered the packaging these things came in rather than the toy itself
You can have so much fun using your imagination to come up with something your ratties will have a ball with
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:31Profile ICQ Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
lol, ok, i guess i will start cutting holes in a bunch of boxes, string them around my room, and connect them with paper towel rolls [img src='/images/forums/halo.gif' border=0]
RustyBlade
---------------
Mega Fish
female australia
Hahaha perfect, your ratties will go nuts with that

I need to take new photos of our ratties so I'll just add this pic of my favourite girl Hope.
She was a rescue from a local pet shop about 14 months ago. They were going to feed her to the snakes because she had a serious head tilt which I noticed when I put my hand in the cage to check them out. All the other rats were jumping around but here she was, her little head tilted sideways and getting pushed around but she was still trying to get up and onto my hand So I picked her out of there and told them I was taking her, no charge and they let me
She really was quite sickly but sooo loving, she liked nothing better than to just cuddle up to you and sleep. She has since blossomed and much more independant and although she's been operated on 3 times (infected inner ear that becomes swollen and cost us over $700 so far) she's still a very happy and contented rattie and we love her to bits

RustyBlade attached this image:
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
awwww poor girlie

Last edited by fishyhelper288 at 01-Dec-2005 10:52
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
female uk
ooooo She is the same colour as Kali !!!

Look

goldfishgeek attached this image:

fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
aww what a chubby thing! lol
RustyBlade
---------------
Mega Fish
female australia
Awww Kali is a cutie GFG
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
female uk
she is lovely so tame and soppy, I had two , Kal and her sister, but she had to be put to sleep after her fifth Myco attack, it was very difficult.

I guess Kali is kinda chubby! but I swear I don't feed her huge amounts - my vet say she is healthy and that some rats may have had ancestors that were bred to be fat to test the affect of obesity? and maybe that is why. she lost weight when her sister died, it has been a dodgy couple of months. but Kal won't be alone any more - I collect the new two tomorrow!!!! Am VERY excited. temp cage and pet carrier all ready to go!!!

have just told the ladies in the office about my rats - all pulled faces of disgust!!!!

GFG

fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
GRRRRR!! u are such a tease
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
YIPPY!!!!! the cage, carrier, food dish, bedding and water bottle all came in today the cage is absolutely MASSIVE!!! it could hold what looks to be like 4 rats comfortabley! the waterbottle is actually on the tiny side the dish is huge the bedding is a bigger bag than what i was thinking and the carrier is ADORABLE!!! its got pictures of rats, guinny pigs, bunnys, hampsters and ferrets i told my mom, "this must be what a satisfide customer feels like"
RustyBlade
---------------
Mega Fish
female australia
I'm sorry GFG, I know all about Myco and have lost a few rats to it as well

have just told the ladies in the office about my rats - all pulled faces of disgust!!!!
LOL I know that one too! I just love how people look at you like you're crazy because you kiss, cuddle and love rats

*Is excited for fishyhelper*
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
female uk
here are my new ladies, not the best pic but trust there will be plenty more!!!

goldfishgeek attached this image:

fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
aww they look so little!

how big is your cage? mine is like 32"w 20"d 18"h

even though i did measure it out before i ordered it, it supprised me by the actual size! i already decorated it with toys, and some fish ordiments (like the plastic ones from walmart, i added the stump, 2 rocks leaning together, and the little rock cave)

i know this is probly a no, but can i add rocks or somthing? i would like it to look natural, and im gunna fix it up after i get off the computer (just gave my self an idea lol) i want there to be different hiding plases, and im gunna add a grassy area, in a bit of tubaware, so they can do somthing with the grass i dont know lol, but im gunna stack some rocks (securely ofcourse with silicone!) to make other higher places, hiding places, and sort of some land scape what do you think? natural, or leave it how i have it (with pvc piping, stuffed toys, cardborad box houses with dried grasses, towel hammock, fish decor , and a bone to chew on) i will be awaiting your oppinion
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
adding rocks like that would make it very very difficult to clean...

><>
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyhelper288
-----
Fish Guru
if i silicone the rocks together? and set them in? u htink? hmm, maybe, never thought of it like that
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
I actually created naturalistic setups for rodents when I worked at a wildlife park, complete with soil, rocks, tunnels, plants. The animals loved them but they were pretty huge considering the size of the species, and keeping the cleaning in a good state was tricky cos the urine was a problem. We did some for various uk mice , brown rats , voles and stuff.I did one show display for black rats based on part of a medieval tall ship, ( in keeping with how rats spread throughout the globe and plague etc for the kiddies.) The rats were actually very fond of it, they loved running around on the ropes and sailcloth and stuff. We even had fake sacks with grain in to feed them from, all about 1/4 size. It was quite cool. Wasnt even that hard to clean being all very dense old marine wood, and we used to change the straw daily.

Last edited by longhairedgit at 04-Dec-2005 03:23
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
female uk
Won't having a natural set up be REALLY hard to clean out?

mine get cleaned out twice a week, but I am a bit fussy...!

I would do something natural to play in but have their home cage as easy to clean as possible, the ammonia in urine can really irritate rats and make them more e to myco apparently. the pets rats you get will be more interested in everything you don't want them to play in trust me!

so far my new two are excellent, in to everything very brave and have met Kali, fingers crossed so far they like each other! they won't move in till the new year, at the moment they would fit through the bars on the main cage!

DeletedPosted 10-Nov-2011 09:49
This post has been deleted
DeletedPosted 10-Nov-2011 10:00
This post has been deleted
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies