L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Water Quality
  L# Milky water
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMilky water
Bev
Small Fry
female usa us-arizona
20-gallon tank, newly completely cycled. Returned fish with fin rot or some type of fungus to store. PetSmart recommended using Stress Coat+ on adding replacement fish as well as a cap of \"Herbal Relief for Bacterial and Fungal Diseases\" as a preventative for the tank. Ever since, water has been milky white. After 10% water change few days ago, used Stress Coat+ for the dechlorinator; still milky. Yesterday did another 10% and used PetSmart brand dechlorinator, which I\'ve used all along with no problem and I changed the filter (carbon). Tank is still milky white. Fish seem happy enough: 1 Molly (& 2 tiny Molly fry), 3 Platys, 5 Neon Tetra and just added 3 False Julii Corycats. Any suggestions to clarify the water? Could Stress Coat & the Nat Geo stuff be reacting and causing it? Thank you for your help. New to hobby and brand new to this forum.
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2015 19:40Profile PM Edit Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
Is it actually milky or just cloudy? If it's just cloudy, the tank will eventually clear once the cycle finishes its ,...um... cycle.

If it's milky, it's not likely the two chemicals are reacting, but if you want to be sure you can put some water in a bowl (or your water change bucket) and mix them in proportion to what you've put in the tank. That should tell you how they do together without more experimentation on your tank.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2015 14:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bev
Small Fry
female usa us-arizona
Thank you, Moondog. I'd say it's probably just cloudy, and it looks a bit more clear today than it did yesterday, so perhaps it will just clear-up. I understand that most everyone has a cloudy tank now and then. Parameters are all great, but I'm still going to do a 15% water change again today. I tested the chemicals together in a separate bowl and did not get a cloudy reaction; however, I failed to include any dechlorinator in that water, so not sure how honest that test was. I very much appreciate your reply and encouragement. Thank you!
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2015 17:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bev
Small Fry
female usa us-arizona
Moondog: If this topic should be posted elsewhere, please advise. Otherwise, I just vacuumed tank and did about a 13% water change, using PetSmart dechlorinator and bacti. supplement. I rinsed bio filter (gently) and new carbon filter (gently) in dirty tank water before discarding water. Tank now looks a bit clearer, but not as clear as it was a few weeks ago. Two ideas: Malaysian driftwood & tannins (even tho I boiled it and soaked it before adding it 3 weeks ago) and also DOC, as after I vacuumed and started adding fresh water, I noticed a LOT of stuff floating in the tank water. I\'ve never seen that before. **Do Julii Corys add more waste than they eat?** Also, I was encouraged to get the Corys (LFS) \"they stay small and really don\'t count\", but now I learn they can get 2-1/2 inches - and no doubt do \"count\". See my first post; I was okay with fish-to-water ratio before I added these 3 Corys. Would have no problem \"rehoming them\" if you also think (as I do) this tank will eventually be overstocked (as fish grow). Thank you very much for your help with this.
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2015 19:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
You're probably currently at an ok limit for stocking, but if any of those livebearers are female, you'll be overstocked in no time!

I would give the tank at least 4-5 days before doing another water change. If it's just a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) then it should clear up over a few days, but daily water changes are only going to keep it cloudy.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2015 14:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bev
Small Fry
female usa us-arizona
Thank you. Oh yeah, all females were no doubt preg when I got them. I had hoped, since they eat their own, they would control their own population, but since I now have two Molly fry, apparently they don't always get every baby. I will be having special "rehoming\" parties (or burials in the backyard) soon, I'm sure. Thank you so much for you quick and helpful response.
Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2015 14:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies