---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
From what I know they're native to east coast US freshwater areas?

I've seen them diving, they get very large (try having one bite at your dive mask!) Are you planning on keeping them in a tank?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2008 04:56Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
venustus
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
male usa
yeah i have an empty 29 gallon long
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2008 07:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
From what I know of them, they grow way to big, and are too active for a 29

That's about all I can say, someone else might have something more helpful though.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2008 05:52Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
If you start them in a 29G you should surely start looking for a bigger home very soon. I would recommend a 55G or a 75G minimum.

Here is a slid show of the Green Sunfish I kept in a 55G.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2008 12:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
I'm not sure about perch, but for sunfish, it would depend on what type you kept. There are some sunfish that only get 6-8" long and could easily be kept in a 29 gal tank, as long as it was properly maintained.

I had a juvie "pumpkinseed" sunfish in a 10 gallon tank for a while. When he got about 5", gave him to a friend to put in his 55 gal cichlid tank so he'd have more room, but the cichlids were too territorial and killed him after a few days. I think he would have done just fine alone in a 29 gal tank, though. He wasn't too terribly active (didn't dart across the tank or anything), but he did like a bit of swimming room. I fed him Tetra 'Cichlid Sticks', btw.

Do some research, maybe talk to some fishermen... decide what species will work best in your tank. If you can get one that will be okay in that small of a tank, then I say go for it
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2008 21:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
OK gotta say it.. Their both good eatin.

As far as keeping them as pets. Biggest sunfish I've caught was up to about 5 inches. But possibly could get larger.

Now for perch, I've seen these guys and heard of them upwards of over 12 inches. Those was usually caught or seen in the winter months around Lake Erie.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 23:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
Found this after searching for other info:

Sunfish, Lepomis gibbosus
This is fish is found in lakes throughout most of Canada and the United States. They can adapt to a variety of water temperatures from 50F up to about 75F, however they do best in the 60's range. When fully mature they can reach a length of 6 to 7 inches. The water pH can range from 6.5 up to 8. They are very intolerant of salt in the water. They eat mostly insects such as dragonfly nymphs, snails, water bugs, worms or any other bug unfortunate enough to fall in the water when they are around. They will feed at both the surface and the bottom of the tank.
To get them to breed, they need to have a cooling period where the water temp. drops at least 10F for a month before bringing it up to regular temps. again. When breeding, the male will clean a spot in the substrate and encourage the female to lay her egg in the nest. The male will then protect the eggs by fanning them and rolling them around until they hatch.

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 23:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Check the thread on Native Freshwater fish in General Freshwater. You reminded me that I asked a similar question months ago. I got ALOT of great answers and links from some very helpful folks.

Good Luck!

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2009 15:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies