Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePython Water Changer
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
hey guys,for those of you that own one of these,can you tell me where to get one,ive looked on ebay,and checked all the lfs in my area,and i still cant find,/:'
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 10:10Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
THIS isn't a genuine python, but looks like it would do pretty much the same thing.

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 11:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
mmmm.thats ok with me,but someone from this ite(cant remember who)said to stear clean of the cheeper versions...
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 11:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Mate ... I've got the one GT has shown you and it works fine . Never seen a python for sale in Aus .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 14:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
I actually just purchased a "Python No Spill Clean 'N Fill" for $27. Is it the same thing? I saw it for nearly $50 at Petco the other day.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3910

BTW, I bought my misc supplies - buffers, food, test kits, filter cartridges etc and saved quite a bit vs my LFS. Good service too.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 19:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I have one of the pythons that Troppo linked to. I got it from equarium. Convenient but wasteful on our already lacking water rescourses so I stopped using it for vacuuming the gravel. I still use it to fill the tank though.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2008 23:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
ok well ive been proven WRONG,ill say it,so ill just grab the 1 gt hooked me up with,also lindy,why are they watsefull
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 04:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I'll assume the reason they're wasteful is how they work. I've never had a python myself, but I believe you hook the python up to the sink and turn on the faucet; the running water into the sink creates a vacuum that then pulls the water from your fish tank. Thus, you actually have to use water to siphon water. You'd use less water if you simply used an old-fashioned siphon to empty the tank.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 06:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
I have a python and after using it for a few times, I decided not to use it.

For the siphoning, it waste too much water (exactly the way Shinigami described). Foe refilling, I don't feel comfortable not pre-mixing the water with dechlorinizer
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 06:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have never seen one (other than on WWW) in action but I know the principal I have used it for other purposes many years ago. I just syphon into a bucket then put the water on the garden. For filling I store and treat the water first for a week. I also warm the water before it goes into the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 07:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tigermom
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 59
female usa
I don't really think pythons are wasteful. Once a person turns the water on and establishes a suction you can turn the water off and the suction will continue. Really a person is only wasting what a person would use when washing there hands.
Turn on the water, water fills pipe in less than 30 seconds and starts to drain, then turn it off. Then when you go in reverse you don't waste anything because it all goes back in the tank.
I can see it being wasteful if the water is left on during draining but it isn't needed. IME

Tigermom
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 10:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
The suction level isn't really that strong if you don't leave the tap running though, is it? I tried it once and I couldn't vac to save my life, the oomph was just not there.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 10:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I agree with Calla. Not much oomph when the tap is off

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 11:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Hari Seldon
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
male canada
I find it convenient for cleaning my tank - as my tank is in a seperate room from my washroom, and about 20 ft away.

I do wish I had a more water efficient way to do it, but hauling buckets of smelly tank water through my house would end in divorce for me.

As for the python itself, its a pretty basic unit, the only part that really goes is the thread on the tap attachment (its plastic), so after constant use, the thread will wear out - but you can buy a replacement part for it.

72G Bowfront. 1 Sunshine Peacock, 2 Yellow Labs, 1 Ps. Elongatus, 1 Blue Ahli, 1 Red Kadanga, 1 Mel. Exasperatus, 1 metriaclima emmiltos, 1 Ancistrus.

14.5G 4 Neon Tetras.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 16:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tigermom
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
I don't see any problem with suction. I turn the water up and the suction gets establish then it stays with water off. I've never notice a difference in how fasts the water drains with water on or off. There have actually been times that with water running I get less suction. Some times its less because the water coming from the tank and the amount coming out the tap is to much for the drain. The sink fills up to were the Fill/drain water comes out and I cant get a thing up the pipe. Other times it just wont suction well. It may just not be for everyone because everyone may not have the same definition of suction?

Tigermom
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 18:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Out of curiosity, tigermom, how far is the vertical distance between the sink and the water level of the tank you are siphoning? Perhaps there is a greater distance between these heights in your situation, which will allow for greater suction. The greater the vertical drop the water moves, the more siphon power there is; this also holds true in the tech-less drain-into-a-bucket method.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 18:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
If you want to gain the vertical height, run the hose outdoors. It can't be too far to a window. Your flowers will love you.

(doesn't work so well in a basement )
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 18:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Hari Seldon
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
male canada
oddly enough - i tried turning off the water today and the suction dropped off dramatically.

I have about 15 ft or more distance from tap to tank and its on the same floor - no drop.

72G Bowfront. 1 Sunshine Peacock, 2 Yellow Labs, 1 Ps. Elongatus, 1 Blue Ahli, 1 Red Kadanga, 1 Mel. Exasperatus, 1 metriaclima emmiltos, 1 Ancistrus.

14.5G 4 Neon Tetras.
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2008 23:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tigermom
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
vertical distance...hahaha I don't even really that's is, sad to say.(I've spent far to long out of school) I would assume that its how far the water goes down to get to the sink? If so, not very far actually. With the siphon in the tank water, the water drops the 24 inches of the tank and 28 of the stand. Goes the five feet to my door, then the five to the bathroom door then goes up about 30-35 inches to the sink. I've never seen a difference in suction which now I'm finding odd because others are. I think my definition of suction, must be incredibly low. If the water is going out with all the poop then its fine I guess. I have a water change tomorrow and I'm going to try to really pay attention to the difference of suction power with water on and off. I may be completely missing the fact that its hardly picking anything up. Ill be back

Tigermom
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2008 04:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
The verticle distance is the difference in height of the surface water of the aquarium and the discharge of the hose. It makes no difference what the hose does regarding elevation change between the two points. Suction will actually decrease as the tank level drops.

If you want more suction, siphon into the toilet. It's about 24" lower than the sink. Just close the toilet seat and lid on the hose. It won't overflow. Also, cut the hose to the length you need. Longer hose will cause pressure loss.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2008 05:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies