Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
If I understand you right tigermom, you have about 17" of vertical difference between the top of the tank and the sink. It seems your defintion of suction really must be pretty low, because it means the exit point of your siphon isn't even below your tank. I would be less surprised if you had good suction power if, say, your tank was on the second floor and connected to a sink on the first floor that was somehow within range of the python; the vertical distance would be extreme and you'd certainly have enough suction power after starting the python to turn it off.

I'm sure you don't take out too much water when you do your water change, but in your situation you actually wouldn't even be able to empty your tank without the extra power from keeping the python on. As you siphon more water out and the height of the water approaches the height of your sink, suction power will decrease until you're left with approximately 6" of water in your tank.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2008 05:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Eyrie
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 16
male scotland
Only problem I've found with the Python is that the suction isn't that great even with the tap on full (and there's little height difference). I usually end up vaccing the sand the old fashioned way and then using the Python for a water change.

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2008 22:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
well they all sound like valid points,but i still dont see how the water goes to waste,cant you just run it into a bucket,then water the garden,or when mine arrives,ill store the water for the next wc...but thanx everyone for all the great imput
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2008 08:18Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
Only problem I've found with the Python is that the suction isn't that great even with the tap on full (and there's little height difference). I usually end up vaccing the sand the old fashioned way and then using the Python for a water change.

It is possible that your faucet just doesn't have enough flow coming out of it to run the python effectively. I use a python at work and at home. We have 2 different faucets at work and one pumps water out very quickly and the python works great but the other faucet basically just has the water falling out of the tap and it takes forever to empty a tank. I also noticed that when I moved into my new house that has low water pressure the python doesn't work quite as well.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2008 13:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Eyrie
-----
Fingerling
male scotland
Could be, but there doesn't look to be a water pressure issue if I just turn the tap on (although there is a definite mopping up issue!)

Maybe I jsut expect too much. Was never happy with my battery powered Eheim vac either.

Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2008 00:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
I had a similar problem until I noticed that the plastic
piece inside the body was loose. There is a hex shaped
hole in the top of that valve body and as the hose part
moves from side to side that part can work loose. I now
make it a matter of routine to be sure that it is snugly
in place every time I connect it to my sink tap.
I have a hex head bolt about an inch long and with a hex
head that perfectly fits the hex hole in the plastic.
I keep this bolt in my aquarium maintenance supplies and
use a pair of pliers to gently snug it up with every use.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2008 00:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
mmm,its sounds to me that everyone has there own opinion,and really its each to there own,do yous think?
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2008 05:39Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Hari Seldon
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
male canada
The issue with varying levels of suction here could be actual water pressure in the home as well.

A friend of mine actually gave me his python because the water pressure in his basement tap did not even generate enough suction to start the python?

Maybe the vertical distance from Canada to Australia would be enough to get one working with the tap!!!

72G Bowfront. 1 Sunshine Peacock, 2 Yellow Labs, 1 Ps. Elongatus, 1 Blue Ahli, 1 Red Kadanga, 1 Mel. Exasperatus, 1 metriaclima emmiltos, 1 Ancistrus.

14.5G 4 Neon Tetras.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2008 03:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
yeah good point
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2008 06:58Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
tigermom
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 59
female usa
Okay I wanted to come back and say what happened with a more closely observed water change.

For my 20 gallon that's 24 x 12 x 16 with a stand that's 24 x 14 x 30 and about 2 feet from my door and 5 from my bathroom...I first started siphoning with the water on. I did the upper right hand side and had good suction. I then turned the water off and did the upper left hand side and did notice a reduction in suction.

For my 45 gallon I did the back right with water and had very good suction (better than the 20) that was fast and got up just about everything. I then did the upper left and actually didn't notice a difference in suction. It had the same amount of suction and picked up just as much as before.

Shinigami I actually am able to drain a tank from my room with my python. My 45 used to sit were my 20 is now and I had to move it(45) because I kept bumping into it. I used the python to drain the tank but I cant remember whether it was with water or not. I'm about 80% sure it was w/o because I needed help undoing the faucet piece and the person who did it wasn't here when this all happened but I could be mistaken.

Tigermom
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2008 12:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Hmmm, that's all rather mysterious. Due to physics and the fact water doesn't go up, and also assuming that your sink is taller than your stand and thus your faucet is higher than the bottom of your tank (like I thought from your previous measurements), your water shouldn't be able to go "up" from the bottom of your tank to the sink without the extra power from the python's suction. You wouldn't be able to empty your tank in that situation.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2008 16:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
jeez i cant wait to get mine to see how it performs..
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 04:53Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
tigermom
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 48
Votes: 59
female usa
Okay so I thought about it then checked my fish log and realized that I was very wrong. I drained my 45 in the toliet not sink(I loged when I got help with the sink). The toilet is like less than half the height of my stand so that is why it worked. Shinigami you are very right. I plan to change my tank from a 45 - 65 and will see how draining goes with water off for the second half of the water. Should be interesting (I'm sure it wont work though)... but I'll update

Tigermom
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 07:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
If all else fails, get a bilge pump (caution required if using for refill, they can be oily and a pond pump would be more appropriate)

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 09:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
mmmmm,i hope mine works ok when i get it
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 17:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mews
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 1
male australia
Not a great fan of such things for a number of reasons as posted by others.
My setups.
Gravel vac to hose to cheap irrigation tap to hose to bucket.
When the bucket is close to full I turn off the tap. I can then distribute the bucket of yummy rich water to various parts of the garden. Empty bucket back under hose, turn tap on and away we go.
To fill, I have a spare power head(pond pump,bilge pump) sitting in a bucket hooked up to the hose. Water in the bucket is treated, power head on, water pumps up and into the tank. While its doing that I fill and treat a second bucket of water which I use to top up the pumped bucket.
What about temperature I hear you say. Still working on a nice neat solution for that. Using various techniques at the mo. Really depends on how much water your changing. I prefer lots of small changes. The shock factor is diminished?

Keith I wondered about leaving the water treated around the house for a week but Im not sure of what else happens to the water in that time? Does it not contra some of the reasons for why we change it in the first place? Will it not stagnate and breed algae and such? Do you keep it sealed or open? Interesting , mind you Id have nowhere to keep that much water lying about..apart from in another tank of course

My 5footer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2242540621_1a81dcb3c8.jpg
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2008 23:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
resle
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 112
Votes: 14
male usa
i dont have a "python" but what i did was buy 30ft (thats longer then the distance from my farthest wall to my bathroom) of 5/8" I.D. hose from pet supplies plus (a garden hose would have workede but what ever). to drain i give it a big suck and put it in the bath tube with a rate of 100gallons/hour with no excess energy loss. to fill i bought a special adapter for around $8 at home depot that connects to the faucet. total price was about $35. less then those lame pythons (and even less if a garden hose is used).
as far as physics go water will travel upwards no greater then some 30ft at sea level, at higher altitudes the height is lower. the distance it travels doesnt matter though the longer it goes the slower it will be due to friction. as long as the point at which the water leaves the tube is lower then the water level of the tank there will be suction and of coarse the greater the distance the faster it will go. im sure most of you have a toilet or a bathtub in range of your tank id suggest trying it there to save energy; who knows you might actually get more suction
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2008 00:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Eyrie
-----
Fingerling
male scotland
EditedEdited by Eyrie
What about temperature I hear you say. Still working on a nice neat solution for that.

Mews, in my pre-Python days I used a 50L Rubbermaid bucket placed next to the tank the previous day and filled with water. I'd then add dechlorinator and place a small heater in the bucket to warm the water. Sometimes I'd run an airpump to improve the water circulation. When the time came for a water change I had a pump and hose to get this warmed water up into the tank.

Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2008 00:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies