Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePest anemone
ckk125
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 285
Votes: 71
male malaysia
hey all..have 2 pest anemone(aiptasia)..i couldnt find any Joe's Juice to kill it..what should i do?
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2006 16:29Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
You can inject a very high pH calcium powder/water mixture into the Aiptasia, or just smother it in limewater. It basically burns the anemone and kills it off. Other suggested remedies include lemon juice or hot water injected into the Aiptasia, but these may not work. Whatever you do, just be sure not to hit any nearby creatures with collateral damage.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2006 16:52Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ckk125
----------
Big Fish
male malaysia
thanks for the quick reply.how can i inject hotwater into the anemone?or should i take the rock out then only pour those lemon/lime juice in?thx alot.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2006 16:56Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
get some Kalkwasser, or pickling lime (same stuff as kalk, just a little lower quality) and make a paste with it by mixing it with a little water. The paste should be thick like toothpaste....then just use a big syringe and apply it to the aiptasia.

Be sure to turn off your powerheads, etc so it doesnt drift around the tank while applying it.
Post InfoPosted 24-Feb-2006 20:38Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
bodangit
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 10
male usa
Just pull it out of your tank and stomp on it!
DUH

Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2006 00:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
For lack of anything else to use I took a dropper and squirted my 2 small ones with straight cold RO water. Then sucked out any remains. It actually worked but I wouldn't say it's in anyway guranteed. If you leave behind even a tiny chunk these guys will not only reqrow but can multiply. Do not use any method that involves pulling them or chopping them up. The little pieces will spread all over your tank and you'll have 20 aiptasia instead of 2. I've also heard suggested to make them retract and then superglue them into the rock if they are in a hole and nothing else works.
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2006 01:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dthurs
---------------
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4170
Votes: 529
male usa
A shot of PHup will do it.

Dan
Post InfoPosted 25-Feb-2006 14:08Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 431
Votes: 145
male usa
I don't mean to hijack this thread but does anyone have a picture of these little guys...I think I might have one...How big are they?

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 21:13Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
I found when I went looking for pics to identify mine that they aren't all the same. Basically if you have hitchhiking anemones there's a very slim chances it's something you want to leave alone. They are probably either aiptasia or majano both of which can spread to pest proportions and then begin stinging anything else in the tank. Try a google image search for either of those and you'll get about 50 correct but different looking pics.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2006 23:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
dthurs
---------------
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4170
Votes: 529
male usa
This is the only picture I can find of mine that show aptasia, they are behind the polips.

[link]http://www.thurs.net/dan/personal/saltwater tank/star polyps.jpg[/link]

Dan
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 00:17Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Isn't pHup just Ammonium Hydroxide? So if I were to et rid of this little guy, could I just remove that piece of live rock from the aquarium and then shoot it with some straight NH3OH? I have a chemist lab full of fun chemicals so I could choose pretty much anything Thanks

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 01:00Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ckk125
----------
Big Fish
male malaysia
i just gave them 1.5ml of lime juice and busted them.
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 04:47Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Is it true that Hermit Crabs eat Aiptasia?

I found the following quote at http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/aiptasia/aiptasia.htm

Perhaps the best (cheapest, most readily available, easiest to track and remove...) Aiptasia nemesis are a few Hermit Crabs. In particular the more common "Red Legged ("Hairy" Hermit Crab, Dardanus megistos (Image) is an almost-all-the-time reef-safe animal that also eats pest algae. One or two to a tank is all it takes.

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 06:14Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
My blue legged hermits don't. They avoid them and the majano I ended up with. I've since added a peppermint shrimp because he's cool and he's already eaten some aiptasia that was still around so I won't have to worry about it again.
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 07:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
I have never heard of hermits consuming Aiptasia. They eat pretty much everything, but I can't really see them as efficient Aiptasia removers.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 16:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
As a general rule, no, but there are always exceptions.

Copperbanded butterflys and peppermint shrimp are efficient aiptasia eating animals suitable for the home aquarium.

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2006 23:37Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Out of curiosity, would you say that most peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia or would you say just a few out of a bunch? I went to one of the LFS and the owner said maybe 1 out of 10 peppermint shrimp will even consider eating one. Well he didn't carry them so I went somewhere else and the lady said within a few days they will eradicate any that are in the tank.

I ask because I got three of them a few days ago and I just don't want to expect sometime unrealistic...I'm not expecting them to magically disappear over night Just curious...thanks

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 06:47Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
Out of curiosity, would you say that most peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia or would you say just a few out of a bunch?

If they are indeed peppermint shrimp and not camelback shrimp then yes they will eat aiptasia...the key is to not overfeed the tank because if they are getting the food from you then they WILL ignore the aiptasia.
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 07:14Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jmara
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Thanks DRO...I need to figure out the difference between the two and then figure out which I have. Thank you for the tip. They were sold as peppermint shrimp but that doesn't necessarily means anything

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 09:23Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
On a side note, they will remove nitrates from the water. If they are not hurting anything, as like corals (this is posted in the GM) then why bother killing them? After all they are very hard to completely eradicate, as if you have one, there are probably a half dozen more small ones you have not seen yet. But, they are working for your tank. And when they get larger, they don't look bad. And really won't hurt your fish. So why not let them work for you?

Now if it is a coral tank, that is another story.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 11:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies