Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePest anemone
jmara
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 431
Votes: 145
male usa
I agree that they aren't bad lookin' by any means. I think they are kind of neat looking. I guess I should just leave them. I guess the reason I really wanted to get rid of them is because I am slowing adding more live rock from another tank and it seems like everytime I rearrange my live rock I get stung by one of them

Thanks everyone. I think I did get peppermint shrimp because some of the visible ones are missing this morning!

-Josh
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 18:48Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
EditedEdited by sham
Camel shrimp and peppermints are very very easy to tell apart once you see both of them. I happen to have both. Camels will also eat aiptasia. It's just they prefer to eat alot of corals and can be a bit destructive so most people don't want them in their tank. If you aren't keeping any corals it really doesn't matter and I think my camel shrimip is rather interesting. Quite shy and nocturnal compared to my peppermint but still interesting. I am annoyed that he ate all my feather dusters though.

Camel shrimp:
http://reefcorner54.com/images/CamelShrimp.JPG
Bent back, obvious white lines, large eyes

Peppermint shrimp:http://www.centralpets.com/critter_images/fish/saltwater_inverts/SWI_0001841_20021225100422x.jpg
Reddish colored with barely visible to bright red lines, smaller eyes, nearly straight back

My camel shrimp also has white hook like claws whereas the peppermint has barely visible claws but I haven't found any pics that really show that.
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2006 19:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Ah, I wrote a piece a while back about Aiptasia anemone control ... and a little creature called Berghia.

Berghia is a genus of nudibranch molluscs, and they feed exclusively on Aiptasia anemones. However, if you want to use Berghia to control Aiptasia in your main aquarium, you'll make an interesting discovery - namely that to ensure you have enough Berghia nudibranchs for pest control should Aiptasia turn up unwanted in a main aquarium, you have to start farming the Aiptasia anemones in a separate aquarium to keep your Berghia pest controllers fed!

You'll find an excellent piece on this in a back number of Today's Fishkeeper magazine - January 2004 edition, pages 34 to 36, to be precise, and written by none other than every marine aquarist's favourite article writer, Anthony Calfo!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2006 04:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies