Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAmano Shrimp Info
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
I posted a message on the General board not so long ago asking for general info on shrimps (as I didn't/don't know that much). I received some interesting general info so went out and bought some Amano Shrimp. I did have a little scare and thought I'd found the body of one of them after one evening, but (I'm assuming) it turned out to be a shed shell as I did manage to count all 6 that I bought a day or two later.

I just want to check that I'm right in thinking that they shed their skin? How long does it take (this seemed to happen overnight)? Does everything come off (this 'skin' had legs as well, which is why I thought it was a body)?

Any other hints/tips on Amano shrimp care? likes/dislike?
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2006 21:12Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
All shrimp, crayfish, and I believe also crabs shed their skin. They tend to do it right after being added to a new tank, a big water change, or other things that could cause a slight or major change in their environment. Aside from those times I believe they also shed monthly and it will pretty much happen overnight. Their entire outside "skin" will come off and many people have mistaken it for the actual animal. They are also quite vunerable after shedding and so need a good hiding spot such as under driftwood, inside decorations, lots of thick plants, or some people just take a small pot or cup and prop up one side so the shrimp can get under it. Most prefer to leave the skin in the tank because it contains all the nutrients needed for the shrimp to build a new one and it will usually be eaten fairly quickly. In small tanks with large shrimp some remove it so it doesn't pollute the water.

I don't have much amano specific information because I decided not to keep these shrimp since I prefer easier to breed shrimp. Amanos breed in brackish to saltwater and require a changing salinity for the babies to survive. Also I've heard they can be agressive toward other shrimp and I like my tiny little neocardinia species which are easily picked on due to their small size.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2006 20:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tankie
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 848
Votes: 230
male canada
EditedEdited by tankie
u can check this site:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_shrimp.php

im keeping 5 amano shrimps in my tank....and i dont mix it with other....i used to have red cherry with it...but they just cant compete with this shrimp.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 20:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies