SubscribeAmano Shrimp and Asian Filter Shrimp
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 212
Votes: 17
male uk
hi guys

i have lost 2 female amano shrimps and have one small male left. I am looking to have another type of shrimp in there. My Q is could i have a 2 Asian Filter Shrimp in there with him or would u foget the hole Asian Filter Shrimp idea and put 2 amano shrimps in there instead. Any ideas would be great guy. Thanks
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2007 23:20Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I'm guessing by asian filter shrimp you mean atyopsis species(aka wood, bamboo, fan, or flower shrimp). These would work fine provided a couple needs are met. They need driftwood or something similar to blend into. Possibly dark rocks, fake wood would work, or most anything brownish in color. If they can't find something to perch on and blend in they tend to get stressed and combined with any other stress may lead to their death. 2nd they need high flow preferably over their perching spot. They prefer to get their food by filtering fast flowing water. Pointing a small powerhead(even just 5gph or so) directly at the driftwood works or just stick the wood under a filter outlet. They'll also hang on plants in front of the filter if they can't find a better spot. Meet those 2 needs and they usually do fine. They do enjoy being directly fed small foods though. Liquid food sold for marine inverts or any fish food crushed into powder will make a great meal for them. If they spend majority of their time wandering around the tank hunting for food they aren't happy. Either they can't find a good spot to blend in and filter or they aren't managing to filter enough and need an extra meal. While they occasionally move around happy atyopsis shrimp mostly just sit in one spot in front of the current all day.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2007 00:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
male uk
thanks sham um i have lots of dark rocks in my tank and lots of tall plats that are infront of the filter. Being a juwel filter system they are made to make a round flow all round the tank so i think they will get anuf to eat. 2 Q's will they be ok eating fish flakes that float past and can i mix them with my amino shrimp
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2007 19:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Most shrimp mix fine. Amanos are occasionally agressive towards smaller shrimp but these shrimp are considerably larger and will be collecting their food a different way so there should be no potential problems. They will eat flake food but prefer it crushed up. The smaller the pieces the easier it is for them to eat. They will go pick up larger pieces after it's softened in water if they are really hungry. The only thing they won't eat is hard pelleted foods like New Life Spectrum or Hikari pellets.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2007 21:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
juwel-180
-----
Enthusiast
male uk
ok thanks again sham as one last Q is there any live food i can give them or frozzen maby
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2007 23:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Don't know if they'd eat anything live. Most live food doesn't get stuck to their fans and then the other fish get it before my shrimp even consider going looking for it. They will eat most frozen food provided the pieces aren't too big. Such as they don't care for squid unless I were to run it through a blender but they like bbs, cyclops, and similar sized frozen food. They most enjoy having the cloudy water left behind from thawing the frozen food or soaking veggie flakes while leaving the more visible chunks of food to the fish and ghost shrimp.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2007 02:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies