Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeApple Snail
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 353
Votes: 2
male canada
Can an apple snail go with a betta(M/F) in a 2.5 and will it take care of the alge?

10gallon: 8neons 5gallon: 1betta
1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 03:55Profile PM Edit Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
It can live with the betta, but wont eat the algae. In a tank that size you are way better off scraping it.

Remember, while apple snails eat left overs, they still poop. If you add one to the tank, it will affect the bioload.

Is the betta the only tank resident?

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 04:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 353
Votes: 2
male canada
EditedEdited by xlinkinparkx
Well nothing is in there yet but it will be, Looking for something diffrent to put in there. Ghost shrimp are the only other thing i can think of..Will any shrimp that eats just leftovers be good in a 2.5?

10gallon: 8neons 5gallon: 1betta
1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 04:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
Azgardens.com has a few different varities of shrimp, you can get an idea of what species and how many you want there.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 20:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Inverts with bettas is a 50/50 chance. Sometimes they go after them and sometimes they leave them alone. Remember everything adds to the bioload even shrimp. Usually you don't worry about that because shrimp impact the bioload so little but in a 2.5g it's something to keep in mind. Your best bet would be to just buy some cheap feeder ghost shrimp and see how your betta does with them. If they survive they'll clean the tank great but if not your betta will get a healthy snack of live food.
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 22:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Veneer
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 146
Votes: 0
Azgardens.com has a few different varities of shrimp, you can get an idea of what species and how many you want there.

A note of warning: I have yet to hear of any positive experiences with purchasing shrimp from that site. Excepting factual errors on the page itself, dead and dying livestock (in the view of AZgardens, practically a certainty) and sub-par customer responsivity unfortunately seem to be the norm. Standard response to in-transit casualties generally consists of provision of store credit (within which shipping costs are not included).

In my experience, www.petshrimp.com, www.franksaquarium.com, and www.freshwaterinverts.com have been superb in terms of variety and quality.
Post InfoPosted 21-May-2006 04:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I didn't have any problems ordering shrimp from azgardens and those that did die they refunded the cost of the shrimp back to my credit card. It only took 5mins on the phone to get a refund on everything I said was lost. No pictures or proof needed. I did lose shipping money but I have yet to buy from anywhere that actually refunds shipping cost unless you lose the entire order to a mistake they made.

The only complaint I have is that their shipping costs a fortune. Usually $50-$100 while for the same amount of stuff it costs around $10-$30 on other sites. They are also quite defensive about it if you email them and mention either the price or the fact they use fed ex. I and people in my area have enough complaints about fed ex that I often won't order from a site just because they use fed ex to ship.
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2006 08:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
I didn't have a great experience buying live shrimp or fish from AZGardens, and their shipping costs make it not worth it at all.
I have dealt with mustafa at petshrimp.com, though, and he's very knowledgable and has great stock, and I never had a problem getting a refund for DOAs.
I've had pretty good luck buying shrimp and crayfish on Aquabid.com (which is where I first came across petshrimp.com). Just read feedback of sellers carefully and ask any questions before an auction closes.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2006 16:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies