L# Apple Snail eating leaves
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeApple Snail eating leaves
vas_nas
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
male
Hello, im new to the hobby and new to the site.

I just bought a big apple snail yesterday, cause im getting a fair amount of algae on my rocks and leaves, and i thought snails eat the algae...

It turns out that almost right away he started eating one of the plants, the algae is still there and he also leaves everywhere some kind of poop(?) behind him also.

Please advise me how to properly care for and feed the snail. I read they also eat peas, carrots and cucumber. But in what quantities and how often?

Also, is there any chance he'll climb up and escape the tank? (he's very active)

Thank you very much!
Vas

(Tank: 40 ltr, 4 platys, 7.5ph, no ammonia or nitrites)
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2015 12:32Profile PM Edit Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
there are a number of variety of apple snails, some of which will eat algae, but a lot of them which would prefer something else and will only eat algae if that's literally all they can get. try this site for information: http://applesnail.net/

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2015 15:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
vas_nas
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
male
Im attaching photo of my snail and the damage he\'s done...

Im afraid it\'s a species about which the site you suggested says: \"Eats almost all types of plants; can also be fed with fish food; isn\'t suited for planted aquaria at all\"

The people at my aquarium place didn\'t know that?!

But it\'s strange: there are videos on youtube with these snails in planted aquariums ...

thank you for your reply though

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2015 16:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi, and welcome to Fish Profiles.

That snail has found itself "in Hog Heaven!" What a banquet you have placed him in. As was stated, they much prefer live plants to live algae.

Unless your heart is set on keeping the snail, you might want to take it back and perhaps trade it for some "ottos."
They are a small fish, best kept in groups that will devour algae and leave your plants alone.

These snails lay their eggs in groups above the water line, so, Yes, they can crawl outside the tank and a cover is a must.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2015 06:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
if you are interested in algae-eating snails, see if your LFS has "nerite" snails. these snails *do* eat algae but they are not as efficient as the algae-eating fish such as ottos or plecos. you didn't mention the size of your tank, but i have a single nerite in my 10g and it cannot keep up with the algae production. but i added four ottos and the algae is under control, although the ottos are eating the bulk of it.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2015 15:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies