Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeApple Snails
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I have just gotten 3 apple snails. They are not as large as the ones I have seen in the LFS chain. I know that inverts grow, but each in different way. Shrimp, crays, etc molt, and hermit crabs move to larger shells. How do apple snails and pond snails grow? (I have a few pond snails too.) I checked the profile and unless I missed it, their growth is not explained.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 22:19Profile PM Edit Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Apple snails will grow alltogether..... the body & shell will grow accordingly. There are different types of Apple snails & grow i different sizes as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2009 23:56Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ArcticBanana
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 4
male usa
Apple snails use there original shell for there entire life! I think that most underweater inverts produce/use there own shells. The only invert i know that must have extra shells lying around are land hermit crabs and some SW species.

Good luck!
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 01:58Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
snails grow in size generally. their shells grow larger because the snail uses calcium and other hard minerals to build the shell. shrimp do the same thing only they get ride of their old shell after it gets to small... crabs also molt and create an exoskeleton...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2009 02:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
One of my apples died 3 days ago. I fished his remains out of the tank. He just popped out of his shell when I noticed he had been closed up for some time. I've noticed the second snail shut up about the same time that he had closed up. The second one hasn't popped open yet and his shell hasn't moved from the spot its been in. Should I just remove it? The third one seems to be fine. He only shuts down if the fish take to close a nip at him. But he opens up and moves about in less than 5 minutes. This one actually appears to be growing nicely.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 16:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
its possible they were sick when you bought them. I have purchased apples in the past that shut up and died after the first day all the way to a few weeks later. Just wait to see if this one is dead (if you tap in the "trap door" and it pulls tighter then its alive if not then its probably dead and you should look into your LFS's return policy to see if you can trade it for a newbie and give it a second try. I have seen my spixis snails close up for a week and lay in the same spot then after a while i come up to see it moved and up and about... not sure why its kinda random.

Hope its just sleeping or taking a break,
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 03:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Nope this one never re-emerged. Last week I noticed a small hole in the "hatch door". I removed it from the tank.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2009 07:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
I may have to treat my tank with melafix, since my angels are fighting. Is it safe for the snail? Can I get away with 1/2 dose measurements?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2009 07:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
EditedEdited by brandeeno
unless the bottle says its dangerous for inverts just dose regularly. maybe you should invest in a divider or another tank for your fighting angels....

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 09-Feb-2009 04:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies