AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Invertebrates
  L# Are snails alright in a cycling tank?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAre snails alright in a cycling tank?
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
female australia
My tanks slowley on the get go.
Filters running, I've added some good bacteria, water conditioner etc.

I was wondering if In a few days, or a day or two once everythings settled, are snails hardy to be placed in there?

The tank is 15 gals, just really wanted to get the big guy out of thelkitte tank mostly but I don't want to endanger his life by doing so as ive read fishless cycling os often better
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2008 16:07Profile PM Edit Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
You can add snails for cycling the tank but they're not going to change much, as they produce little waste.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 26-Dec-2008 17:41Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It can be done as jasonpisani mentioned, but personally I would prefer to wait until the tank has fully cycled.
You could help it along with a few Zebra Danios. What brand of Bacteria are you adding reason for asking some are far better but these ones cost more. I prefer Seachem Stability which I add at every water change to keep the original good bacteria healthy.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2008 02:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
What do you have in the tank at the moment to produce ammonia?

If you have no ammonia being produced, then there is nothing to feed the bacteria, and therefore it won't grow to the levels that you need to support the future inhabitants. The dying bacteria will give you some ammonia, but not enough.

If you are adding bottled bacteria and you are not adding another ammonia source, then a 15gal tank will hold enough water to keep any waste produced by the snail to fairly safe levels. If this is what you are doing and you want to add the snail, you should be pretty safe, just mind that you don't overfeed him as the excess food will jump the ammonia up and the filter won't be able to handle the processing of that yet.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2008 11:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
CrimsonaX
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 57
female australia
EditedEdited by CrimsonaX
At the moment I have 3 emperor tetra, but I assume they may not have been the best choice, the largest one keeps bullying the two smaller guys )=

I was told they were tough for this sort of thing and other then having a bully tetra they've been going for a good while now with no other concerns. They used to get along so well too

the bacteria I use is JBL Denitrol, an aquarium starter.

ps: He's a huge mystery snail, easily golf ball sized
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2008 04:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies