SubscribeBamboo Shrimp
AggieMarine
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 229
Votes: 12
male usa
Anyone know anything about them? Max size? Diet? Water requirements?
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 02:52Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Max size depends on exact species but 3-4" is fairly average. Some actually get up to 6-8" but these aren't very common. For their size they actually eat tiny food particles and are considered filter feeders. They benefit from a filter feeder food including those made for marine invertebrates but will also pick up tiny particles out of the water. You can crush up things like flakes, shrimp pellets, crab and lobster bites, or most any other fish food and feed it to them. The best way is to mix it in a little water and use a dropper to squirt it at them but dumping it in the water flow will cause some of it to swirl down past them before the fish get to it. Currently I feed mine twice a week with a mixture of a liquid marine invertebrate food and crushed fish foods. It's interesting to watch them eat and only takes an extra minute or 2 to feed them. Mostly because of their diet they do best in larger tanks. 1 per 20g is the smallest I'd probably go. Otherwise they can either starve to death or the water will become polluted due to all the excess food particles that get missed. Also because of their diet they cannot possibly harm even tiny fish. They can only eat very small food particles.

They prefer softer water but do ok in hard water if acclimated slowly. Like all shrimp they are sensitive to ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates so frequent water changes are a must unless you have a planted tank. They need a piece of driftwood preferably sitting in front of the current. They evolved to blend into driftwood and with nothing to blend into they can sometimes get stressed out. Adding plants and lots of decorations also helps. They absolutely love current and really appreciate a spot right in front of the filter. They'll even climb heater cords and such to get into the water flow. Given a branch of driftwood in front of the filter they will happily spend all day in the open filtering your water with their fans. They aren't really active but quite interesting and mine will climb onto my hand sometimes. It's also best to give all shrimp a hiding spot for when they shed their skin and are vulnerable to injury.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jun-2006 08:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies