SubscribeBlue Marrons and Black Lobsters
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Has anyone here ever bred blue marrons or black lobsters (both native to WA, Australia)?

I'm thinking of getting a breeding pair or two, but the last time I tried (with Cherax destructor) I ended up with a headless male and a very full female.

These guys are going to be pretty expensive as yabbies go, and hard to get, so I'd rather avoid decapitations if at all possible.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 28-May-2007 05:46Profile PM Edit Report 
DeletedPosted 30-May-2007 14:36
This post has been deleted
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Well, I'm going in blind!

I have 4 yabbies now, 2 blacks, 2 blues, and currently they are in buckets all over the place until their tanks are ready to go (there is a major drawback with rare critters, you have to get them then and there if you want them

Anyway, so far the male black is really sweet and timid, and the female black is a real nasty piece of work, flippin' her claws up at me straight away. Not a great start, but hopefully she'll settle down

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 30-May-2007 14:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
EditedEdited by Callatya
Female Gilgie (i think? wrong claws for a koonac)

Male Gilgie

Female ?? (looks remarkably like a destructor but for the big eyes, need to check ID on her as I'm not convinced)

Male Marron

So there we go

Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 18:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Aaaaand the great thing about nobody much caring about this lot is that hopefully nobody will notice I stuffed up

Top two ARE koonacs. The female is still iffy, but current thinking is that they are both C. preissii.

Female blue is C. destructor "blue pearl", which is as common as muck around here, so finding her a mate should be simple.

Male is a blue marron, but stuffed if I can work out the type. the claws look like a hairy marron, but the body looks like a smooth. Maybe a hybrid? I really don't know, but "blue marron" will do for now. Finding him a mate is going to be very tricky.

So yeah, that's where we are. 1 pair, and two half pairs oddly enough, the two blue leftovers are living together and the two black ones are separate.

I should be able to get the blue pearl male some time next week, unless I can get the supplier to swap me a marron female.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jun-2007 12:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 06-Jun-2007 07:44
This post has been deleted
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Well, I can't say anything regarding the difficulty of breeding these species, but that black yabby looks pretty cool. It would probably cost a fortune over here.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 07:45Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Was talking with someone in Texas who is trying to import them, I'll let you know if she succeeds

Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 07:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Found a male blue pearl today, and a male red claw

The poor little blue pearl was in with some common dam yabbies about twice his size and is missing several parts of legs and an entire claw, but he'll come good

The red claw (quad) is only j-u-s-t starting to get his red patches I've never had a male before, I'm so excited!

Post InfoPosted 25-Jun-2007 09:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies