Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

One of my Cherry Shrimp was carrying eggs that hatched over the weekend, and I was wondering how fast the hatchlings grow as I am going to be dismantling the tank a week from now. I bought a "nasal aspirator" (ew) to suck up the baby shrimp and transfer them to a container.

They are currently in a breeder net away from the other shrimp and fish. How large can I expect them to be at one week of age? Right now they are about 3.5mm long. Also, how hardy are they when it comes to pH/temperature fluctuations? I've transferred the adults between my school tank and tanks at home a few times, but I'm worried the hatchlings might not be as hardy.

Mustafa Ucozler of PetShrimp.com states that most of the shrimp he mails are 5-13mm long, so I'm guessing they can't be too fragile? I am going to drip-acclimate them (and the fish) to the new tank, of course, just to be cautious.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 07:40Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
shrimper
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 1
male canada
a couple a mm growth seems about right. A week isnt all that long. Drip method of acclimating should be okay as long. In my I transfer cherries around alot and they are fairly hardy when it comes to slight ph and temp changes. Very sensitive to ammonia, nitrite and high levels of nitrate though.
Be carefull sucking them up as they can be fragile and easily lose limbs. It might be better to transfer them into a shotglass withought removing them from water.
Just a thought.

Dwarfshrimp.com
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 11:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Mine are quite sensitive to changing tanks. I usually scoop them up with a small measuring cup that has a handle and gather them all in a 2g bucket. Then drip acclimate to a new tank. Better if I'm draining the old tank and can transport all their water to the new tank. Then I just use the gravel vac tube and suck them up while draining the water out. They handle a little swirl around the bucket better than being sucked into somehing small and possibly losing legs or compressing their body any.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 16:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

How easy is it to scoop them up with a shot glass or measuring cup? I tried getting them with a large plastic bottle cap and they just started flipping their tails and flying all over the place.

I spotted one of the smaller babies dead today, but I have no idea how many there are left (at least a few).

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 19:40Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I hold the container in one corner of the tank along the glass and use my other hand to scoop around the tank toward the cup. They usually scoot right in while trying to avoid me and I set the cup upright and lift it out of the tank. It's only that last 1 or 2 that gets difficult and won't go in.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2007 22:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies