Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCrabs
HarDan
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
male croatia
I have the Galician Crayfish in my 60 l aquarium for 1 month.
He managed to kill one betta male, two red crabs and a black molly male.
Last night he catched two guppie tails.

What can I do

P.S. Can not give him away easy because my kids love him.

I was thinking of some crab eating fish.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2006 11:23Profile PM Edit Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
P.S. Can not give him away easy because my kids love him.

I was thinking of some crab eating fish.

Your kids love the crayfish, so you can't give him away...but you want a fish that will eat him? I think you're better off teaching your kids that it is sometimes the the best thing to rehome a beloved pet when proper care becomes difficult/impossible.

Or maybe Im reading your question wrong?

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2006 18:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Hey, its only a crayfish, just set up another small tank. A species only tank is a good move here. Dont make any decisions that lead to further deaths either way. Allowing the crayfish to be killed or allowing it too kill others is not facing the problem. Rehome it, or rehouse it in a species tank. Its the only responsible thing to do.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2006 19:03Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
oldpro
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 8
male usa
Eat It.

"I am who I am, and who I am is who I want to be."
-Kasey Carter
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2007 08:19Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
HarDan
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
male croatia
I was thinking of setting a new aquarium, but it must be a very good sealed one because or Mr.Crab (his name)is the expert of escaping (he managed to escape few times through various holes - even small ones).
I have a idea of putting in tiger barbs because they are fast - in any case roommates of Mr.Crab must be fast and upper level sleeping fishes because he hunts exclusively at night.
Any suggestion will be welcome.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 02:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
exu
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 43
Votes: 1
male
When I was new to this hobby I got a blue crayfish cause they are just so cool looking.

Then he sliced and diced every fish in the tank (poor dwarf gouramis)

So I did put him in a 10 gallon and we enjoyed him for a long time until he died after a bad molt. I have to agree that a species tank is probably the best solution in this case.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2007 19:53Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
It doesnt matter what fish you put in the tank, they will end up dinner eventually (even fish sleep sometimes).

Is it the crab or the crayfish that you are looking to rehome?

As preivously mentioned, set up another tank for the crayfish/crab and have another tank with the fish only.
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2007 00:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

Step 1 : Go here.

Step 2 : Identify your Crayfish as best you can.

Step 3 : Having done so, and gained a handle on its likely adult size, set up an aquarium just for it.

Small Crayfish will live in a 10 gallon. Larger ones need a 20 or more.

Additionally, it might be a good idea to provide the Crayfish with some extra mineral content in its water, and some calcium in its diet. This way you will go some way toward easing the bad moult problem mentioned above (won't cure ALL moulting problems, but if the Crayfish has decent mineral content in the water and some mineral content in the diet, this will help make moulting a healthier process).

Difficult to conceive offhand of a fish that might be safe with your Crayfish - big nocturnal catfishes spring to mind as possible contenders, presumably on the basis that they're too big to eat and awake when the Crayfish is awake, making the chance of an attack less likely. Even so, such a pairing should be considered experimental at best, and should only be performed if plans are made in advance to rehouse one or other of the occupants of such an aquarium setup if trouble does occur.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 11-Feb-2007 13:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies