Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCrawdad
porker_2003
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 1
male usa
I wet down to a nearby creek and caught a crawdad and it had something hanging off of its belly so i figured it was eggs shure enough 5 days later i had 26 baby crawdads and i was wandering if it would be a good idea once they got a little biger to put them in a fishtank?
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 09:12Profile PM Edit Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
It all depends on what kind of cray you have. In general, most crayfish should not be housed with other fish unless you intend the other fish to end up as food. Also, larger fish will possibly see the crays as food.

But a species tank of crays may work out well. You'll need to know how large the adult crays will get, and plan a tank size (length is much more important than depth) and lots and lots of hiding spaces and territory boundaries as possible. Crays will fight among each other, so you do not want the tank to be too crowded. Also, crays are very messy eaters, so water quality will be an issue. They also need to molt, so caves and crevices where they can do this safely are very important, as it's possible that the other crays will kill a molting one while it's vilnerable, or if the molting cray feels insecure, it may simply die of stress. Take a water sample where you found the crays and try to replicate those conditions in terms of decor, current, Ph, and harness, and you'd have a happy long-term home for a few crays.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 15:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
EditedEdited by fish patty

We put crawdads in our tank once. I woke up to find one quickly crawling toward my bed......scared the bejeepers out of me, as I'm not fond of creeping looking things anyway. That put an end to that experiment.

"bejeepers?"

Wonder where I got that word from? Must have been a movie I saw recently.(I didn't want to use the other words I thought of) Makes me wonder of the origin of some of the words we use?
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 16:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
They are escape artists. Get some mesh and cover any holes around the filters or equipment. If they can reach the top of the tank anywhere they'll use the rim to get around to the rest of the top and find a hole. Usually crayfish eat any small fish and are eaten by any large fish. Sometimes they will even attempt to eat fish that should eat them. I know someone once mentioned their oscar having been injured by a crayfish. Better to setup a species tank for them and with that many you'd need multiple species tanks because with too many crays around they'll start fighting. With some species the young may even turn cannibalistic.
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 17:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies