Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFairy Shrimp?
zookeper
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 62
Votes: 6
male usa
I see fairy shrimp eggs on ebay for hatching and to be used as food for fish.
Never heard of these shrimps before and not much on the web about them being used as food for fish.
Anyone have any info on these? Thanks
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 04:34Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
Fairy shrimp are actually an order of shrimp -- Anostraca. The order is characterized by living in vernal pools and being able to survive in both fresh and saltwater. The ever-delicious (for fish, anyway) brine shrimp (Artemia sp.) are part of this order.

I'm guessing that what the eBay seller actually has is just common brine shrimp.

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2007 18:17Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Another Susan
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
Actually fairy shrimp are freshwater. They show up in large puddles in the spring, go through a brief life cycle, lay eggs and die when the puddle dries up. The eggs need to dry out before they can hatch. If you do a google search you will find information about them. They are quite hardy as eggs. We had them in Fairbanks, Alaska in the puddles by the railroad tracks when I was a kid.
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2007 18:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies