L# Freshwater Clams
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFreshwater Clams
PurestDJ
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
male uk
I have seen that a tropicalfish4u.co.uk is selling Freshwater Clams (Margaritiferidae sp.) and these things look great for adding something a bit different to my 90litre tank, and also help control nitrate levels which is nice. I am just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with these (I've never seen them in any of my LFS) and also if my zebra loaches will take a little too much interest in them (I doubt they could do much to something that size though)?
Also if anyone has used tropicalfish4u.co.uk I would be interested to hear if they were any good, I've never used an on-line fish store before and am a little nervous of having fish come throught the post?
See my profile for my stocking details.

James
Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2006 12:46Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Yes zebras will eat some of them. My yoyos did. The clams will not make a dent in your water quality. I had 50 in a 55g and there was no difference. They starve extremely easy too. If they wander behind a piece of driftwood or into a cave they die. If your water flow isn't strong enough they die. If you don't feed food with small enough particles they die. Alot of people use liquid invert food designed for marine invertebrates to squirt down in front of the clams so they won't starve. Also while they may be interesting for a few days they quickly bury themselves in the substrate and that is that. They never move again unless you move them first. Noone ever sees more than the tip of their shell. However they are not in any way harmful so if you want to try some there's no danger. Most though don't find them anywhere near as exciting as they think they will be. Mine eventually turned into such a pain to keep fed and I had to hunt down every last one if putting anything into the tank. Even melafix will kill them.
Post InfoPosted 02-Nov-2006 21:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies