L# Green lace shrimp
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGreen lace shrimp
DonkeyFieldMouse
Small Fry
Kudos: 10
Votes: 0
Hey all,

I just have some questions regarding shrimp and compatibiliy.
1)I have done some research on this shrimp and everywhere I look, there seems to be a minimum of 20G. I have a 15G that is well cycled (2+ years) and it won't be too crowded, would 1 be acceptable in these conditions?
2)I was thinking that in my 15G (sadly, my largest tank) that I would have some Red Cherry shrimp, and if possible, a green lace shrimp as well as two ottos. Would Hatchetfish be compatible in this mix? I figure the shrimp will live in the bottom, the ottos throughout, and hopefully there wil be enough distance between the shrimp and the hachetfish (at the surface) that they would rarely meet and that I could have a succesful breeding population of cherry shrimp. The tank is planted, however not finished, with Java moss and other hiding places for the shrimp.
Obviously I will have a good lid for the hatchetfish, and I was even thinking about some of that mosquito netting stuff (for screen doors, windows...) with a gap near the lid for extra insurance so the fish don't jump out.
3) Also, is there any way of knowing if puffer fish will work with shrimp besides luck? I have heard of some people having success, but i'd rather not leave it up to luck.

Any advice regarding these species would be appreciated. The tank at this point is not "complete" by my standards and has some other fish in it at the moment, this is just a theoretical gameplan for the futur.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2010 00:57Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I think you have some sound thinking all the way up
to the puffer fish, and there I think you err. I believe
the shrimp would become an expensive snack for them.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2010 03:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
http://www.aqadvisor.com/

I suggest you go to this site and run all your alternatives.

I have Cherry Reds in a 45lt with Cardinal Tetras and Endlers. I do not have a problem. If either had a snack on the odd baby shrimp I dont think I would notice any way.

My shrimp walk along the bottom and are all over the top surface. I dont think any one has told them to stay on the bottom.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2010 05:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DonkeyFieldMouse
Small Fry
Wow, wicked site keithgh. Whats the deal with the filtration capacity? What number should I be aiming for?

Thanks for the advice, it sounds that hatchetfish should go along with cherry's rather well.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2010 00:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Filtration Capacity?

When that came up all you had to do was to click on the question mark.

If you specify at least one filter, AqAdvisor.com will calculate filtration capacity for you. This number is calculated based on the actual filtration capacity of your filter(s) and amount of bioload present in your tank (assuming all your species are fully grown up). If you add more fish in your tank, this number will go down. If you add more filters (or upgrade to a more powerful filter), this number will go up. If this number stays above 100%, your setup is in a good shape. If this number drops to below 100%, you should think about either adding or upgrading your filters. You may notice that AqAdvisor.com is somewhat conservative when it comes to filtration capacities. Internally, AqAdvisor.com uses only 65% of the manufacturer recommended capacities.

So what is the reason for this?

All manufacturers are very generous when it comes to quoting filtration capacities for their filters. This is no exception whether they are well known or lesser known brands. It is possible to push your setup all the way to their quoted limit, but I'd highly advise against doing this. Settling on 65% is based on years of experiences. If you follow this "rule", you will not regret it.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2010 06:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DonkeyFieldMouse
Small Fry
Excellent, mine was way above the 100% mark and I thought that was a bad thing. I find that it is only fair to be generous. Do cherry shrimp present much of a biolaud?
Post InfoPosted 31-Jul-2010 01:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
DonkeyFieldMouse

I personally think the amount all mine produce is just enough break down and feed all my Crypts.

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 31-Jul-2010 03:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Agnes
Small Fry
Kudos: 11
Votes: 1
female canada ca-alberta
I have cherry shrimp my self and my recommention is they do best when they are among them selves. Breed like crazy and there fun to watch. Also they love spinich, broccoli, and zukini, blanch it first than put it on a rock tie a elastic band around it so it stays at the bottom and just watch and see how your cherry shrimp zone it on it. What a site. Oh and by the way it is not at all a good idea to put hatchets or puffers in with your cherry shrimp because these two species will zone in on your cherry shrimp. And your 15gallon tank is perfect for your cherry shrimp. My cherry shrimp thrive in there 15 gallon. Good luck.
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2010 00:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies